Rewarding challenges with languages student Vy Khanh Dang

Flinders International TESOL student

“I like languages because they bring valuable knowledge and experiences,” says Vy Khanh Dang, a languages student studying a double degree Bachelor of Education (Secondary) and Bachelor of Languages (French and ESOL) at Flinders University.

“This field not only gives me many opportunities to work with diverse cultures in Australia but also in other countries.”

Career aspirations

Vy has long aspired to teach education. “It is a career filled with challenges that are rewarding because it gives me a sense of making a difference,” she says. “I have always felt an aspiration to become a language teacher, especially in the English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) field.”

Being a language learner herself, it sparked a desire to support future students. “I’m looking forward to utilising the valuable knowledge, teaching, and learning strategies that I have gained from my course here at Flinders.”

Choosing to study in Adelaide

It was an easy choice for Vy to settle in South Australia. “Adelaide is an affordable city with a lower cost of living than other capital cities in Australia,” she says of her adopted home. “It is a beautiful city with lovely people.”

Having lived in Adelaide for over eight years, the Vietnamese student is very familiar with the city and all its offerings. “I really enjoy life here; it’s not difficult to get around using public transport, there are many nice beaches and interesting places, and lots of local fresh food markets.”

Adelaide central Markets
Adelaide Central Markets

Why choose Flinders?

“Flinders was the right choice for me because it stood out from the other universities,” says Vy. “The education degree allows me to follow my interests by combining my Bachelor of Education with a Bachelor of Languages.”

This is important for Vy as it will equip her with the skills to be a registered middle and secondary school teacher.

“I will be able to teach two secondary school subjects related to languages which are French and English for Speakers of Other Languages, and therefore it would give me many job options in the future.”

The Flinders learning experience

“I’ve had a great experience at Flinders University. I enjoy all of my topics as they have been taught by enthusiastic lecturers and tutors. The lessons are all engaging and relevant for my future teaching experience,” she says. “Furthermore, lecturers and tutors are flexible, understanding, and supportive of all students, with great knowledge and experience in their fields.”

Flinders International

Facilities and the on-campus experience

Set across a sprawling hilltop, Flinders Bedford Park campus is a green haven for students. “The grounds are beautiful, containing many shaded grassy areas to relax and study in nature,” says Vy. The lake and trees attract wildlife like koalas, kangaroos, of course, the famous Flinders ducks.

The Hub is a favourite of Vy’s too. “The student hub has lots of places to study as well as private rooms which can be booked for group study. There is also space to relax, including a food court, a bar, and an outdoor amphitheater with a huge TV screen. The library is divided into areas designated for quiet study or places where you can talk. Some areas are open 24 hours, allowing for flexibility in my study time.”

Practical industry-based placements

Practical placements are invaluable for all students, helping prepare them for the real-world workforce. For teaching degrees, this is an utterly necessary aspect for all student teachers to experience.

Discover fellow education students Nisha Singh and Saadia Adnan’s Flinders experience.

“I had a placement in a local school’s special needs class,” says Vy of her recent internship. “I had plenty of opportunities to design and present lessons to the class while tailoring the lessons to the unique needs of these students.” Vy found it to be a crucial time. “It was a valuable experience in classroom management that has given me the confidence to succeed in any classroom environment.”

Advice for prospective students?

“Flinders University has supported me through my studies by being considerate of my personal situation, being both a mum and a student,” says Vy of her time at Flinders. “They understand the balancing act it requires and of the sometimes unpredictable events that place demands on my time.”

If you’d like to discover how a degree from Flinders University can transform your life – get in touch with one of our friendly team, today. It’s time to go beyond the ordinary, and unpause your future with Flinders. What are you waiting for?
Adelaide Living Education Flinders International Vietnam