Ashley’s Story | Summer School in a European Winter

In the January holidays, I had the opportunity to study International Law and Human Rights at Masaryk University in Brno, Czech Republic and gain credit towards my Bachelor of Laws and Legal Practice/Bachelor of International Relations at Flinders University.

Through volunteering in various organisations, I became interested in areas of human rights and how the legal system can help individuals in need. When I discovered AIM Overseas offered a program combining my interests and studies, I jumped at the chance!

Arriving in Brno was a whirlwind and I was a little nervous and very excited for the three weeks ahead. We spent the first week learning about the principles of human rights with a constitutional court Judge and an academic who works with the court. After our classes, we spent the weekend in Prague, engaging with non-governmental organisations (NGOs) and sightseeing.

The following week included various classes and insightful visits to the courts. Most of all, an exciting surprise was a day trip to the slopes for skiing/snowboarding which we all enjoyed! The end of the week was spent in Budapest meeting with the United Nations (UN) Refugee Agency, and of course visiting beautiful sights – my personal favourite.

Wrapping up all the knowledge we gained, the last week focused on applying human rights principles to international humanitarian law. The program ended with a celebratory dinner in Brno, visiting the UN headquarters in Vienna, and saying farewell to the wonderful friends I made. It is an experience I will never forget, and am very grateful to be given the opportunity.