Here are some health awareness events and resources for May complied by the Work Health and Safety Unit.
- National Heart Week, 3-9 May – Under the banner of Move More, Sit Less! the Heart Foundation aims to raise public, media and government awareness of the risks involved with sustained physical inactivity and sedentary behaviour
- Australia’s Biggest Morning Tea, 28 May – Host a morning tea in May or June to help the Cancer Council raise funds for cancer research, prevention and support
- World No Tobacco Day, 31 May – With smoking the leading risk factor for preventable cancer and one in five cancer deaths attributable to smoking, support some you know on World No Tobacco Day by joining forces and making a pledge at WeCanQuit.com.au
Oasis – Free Mindfulness meditation with Shelly, Tuesday each week 12.30pm-1.00pm, for staff and students, location, Oasis Quiet Space, Function Centre, Humanities Road.
FUSA – Reduce stress, improve focus and increase your productivity classes for students and staff: free Yoga classes, Wednesday each week from 1.00pm-2.00pm, last class on 13 May; Mindfulness classes, Tuesdays from 19 May – 16 June, 2pm-3pm, location, Sports Centre group fitness room Level 3.
Flinders One Fitness also runs health and fitness programs with special offers.
Useful online resources offering support and information around mental health:
- Online Wellbeing Centre for 18-25 Years Olds
- Disclosing mental illness in the workplace: should you tell?
- Health IQ: Workplace health Quiz
Please visit the WHS Unit Health and Wellbeing website for more information.