Flinders University Creative Arts graduate Anthony Maras has taken a Screen Australia Breakthrough Award at the recent Australians in Film Awards, while other screen alumni have featured prominently at the Australian Cinematographers Society’s Annual Awards for Cinematography.
Mr Maras won his award for the highly praised film Hotel Mumbai. Australians in Film is a Los Angeles-based film, television and digital content foundation that supports and promotes Australian screen talent and culture in the United States. Its annual awards were held in Los Angeles on 3 October.
South Australia’s Annual Awards for Cinematography were awarded at a ceremony in Adelaide on 26 October. Flinders alumni awards include:
- Sam King, awarded silver for the music video Penelope Austin – Gem
- Benno Thieland, awarded silver for the documentary Caring for Ngarrindjeri Sea Country
- David Tang, awarded bronze for the documentary The Loop
- Michael Tessari, awarded gold for the City of Adelaide – Creative City commercial and also In the Wake short film
Gold in Feature Films awards went to:
- Nick Matthews, for his work on Hotel Mumbai
- Michael Tessa, for his work on Awoken
- Bryan Mason, for his work on Animals
Nick Matthews also took out The Milton Ingerson Award for Best Entry.