Flinders University has purchased an Indigenous Cultural Awareness Course that all staff are able to take part in, and are encouraged to undertake this training soon.
This course provides information about:
- An appreciation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples’ long-held philosophies, connection to Country and ways of knowing, being and doing from time immemorial and in the contemporary
- An understanding of cultural protocols and significance of Welcome to Country and Acknowledgment of Country. Knowledge of the diversity of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities
- A foundational understanding of Australia’s Indigenous history, settler colonialism, social and cultural policy and attempted dispossession of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and communities
- Knowledge of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples’ self-determination, resistance and activism
- Celebration of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples’ contributions to Australian society
Since the course initially became available to Flinders staff in 2020, an updated version has been implemented which will enable staff who complete the course to have it recorded in their training history through the iEnrol system.
The link at https://ienrol.flinders.edu.au/index.php/course/ICAW will explain how to register, contains instructions for accessing the training and how to undertake the course. It also has learning outcomes and rationale for the training.