A new generation of teaching for Master of Teaching graduate, Upulitha  

Upulitha Kularatne

Upulitha Kularatne moved to Adelaide from Sri Lanka with ambitions to utilise his knowledge of mathematics in high school classrooms. Now, after completing his Master of Teaching (Secondary) degree this year, his journey to achieving that goal is closer than ever.

“My degree at Flinders not only showed me how to use my mathematics knowledge for the new generation but also showed me a number of other technological applications and better pedagogies to teach mathematics successfully.” 

“I am confident to say that the knowledge I’ve gained through this degree can be used anywhere around the world to teach mathematics and physics.” 

World-Class Student Support 

The world-class student support and career guidance that Flinders International Student Services provides, stands out as one of the main reasons Upulitha has felt confident throughout his degree. 

“I am very happy about choosing Flinders University mainly because it had a clear pathway for me,” says Upulitha.  

“These clear pathways make Flinders stand out from other universities. The lovely teaching team and International Student Services team always cared for me whenever I needed help with enrolling and with other enquiries. This made my life at Flinders very happy and was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.” 

Students at Flinders

Why study Teaching at Flinders?  

When Upulitha was first deciding upon an Australian university, what attracted him to Flinders was the exciting range of topics on offer in the Master of Teaching degree, which include the use of technology and learning how to better accommodate the needs of students with learning difficulties.  

“Teaching in the twenty first century is not only a process of delivering the content but identifying pedagogy to support students with various learning difficulties and using technology to facilitate student learning,” says Upulitha.  

“My degree is structured around these ideas and include topics such as curriculum studies, literacy for middle years, relationships to learning, differentiation, ICT in education and many more topics with two professional experiences through placements.” 

Upulitha is grateful to have learnt about a new educational curriculum in Australia and plans to use this knowledge to teach mathematics in the future.  

“Everything I’ve learnt has provided me with a better knowledge of curriculum planning and designing based on the Australian Curriculum and Department of Education requirements,” says Upulitha.  

“Coming from Sri Lanka where the education standard is very high, I always wanted to learn how to utilise my mathematics knowledge to teach twenty first century high school students. Learning how to teach Mathematics in a new era excites me.” 

Flinders on campus study
Flinders Bedford Park Campus

Flinders Go Beyond Scholarships 

Financial assistance through Flinders Go Beyond Scholarship has been a significant motivator for Upulitha to make the most of his time at Flinders.  

“I felt very valued when I got selected for the scholarship and it motivated me to start my second masters degree.” 

“I always wanted to go back to teaching because it is my passion. I wanted to utilise my existing knowledge and learn how to use it through a recognised degree. The Flinders Go Beyond Scholarship was very beneficial to me financially and was a great motivation to get better scores. I even went beyond by qualifying for an extended metro placement.” 

Glenelg Beach, Adelaide
Glenelg Beach, Adelaide

A family friendly lifestyle in Adelaide  

Adelaide well and truly feels like home for Upulitha and his family, and says he knew from the first time he saw our beautiful Bedford Park campus that his time at Flinders would be special. 

“When I first saw a video of Flinders Bedford Park campus, I was fascinated by the view overlooking ocean and other sceneries around the campus. I thought, this is the best place for me and my family to make memories.” 

And for Upulitha, he says the geographical and cultural diversity has made the transition to life in South Australia even more convenient and enjoyable.  

“Adelaide is a wonderful city and there are so many beautiful places to visit.” 

“There are so many family-friendly beaches and parks for me to take my daughter and wife to enjoy the fresh air. There are so many markets around the city where we can buy Asian vegetables and many other Sri Lankan restaurants and grocery stores. There are always events happening in the city and they’re filled with entertainment.” 

He also wholeheartedly believes choosing Flinders University is a great choice for international students.  

“Flinders is a better choice for anyone who is coming from overseas,” says Upulitha.  

“There is a wonderful teaching team who are always there to support you, and the International Student Services team can also provide further assistance. There are many courses available to international students, and it feels a like a home away from home.”

Interested in pursuing a career in Teaching like Upulitha? Be fearless and find out more about studying Teaching at Flinders University here.

College of Education Psychology and Social Work Flinders International