Get to know your College: Luigi Pacillo, Finance Business Partner

As the Finance Business Partner, Luigi is a key conduit between the College and the Finance and Procurement Portfolio and works in collaboration with College leadership in understanding localised financial strategic plans. Essentially, Luigi and his team (which comprises Yvette Hilton, Andrea Durrant, Sharon Warland and Alex Whitehorn) are responsible for setting and monitoring the College’s budget, financial forecasting, and fiscal reporting. His role combines a mix of accounting, analytical and commercial skills, with wild gesticulation.

Tell us something about yourself others may not know. I left High School before I’d even finished Year 9. I celebrated that at the time but really it was one of the worst things I’ve ever done. I went to work at a fruit and veg store in the Adelaide Exchange markets in the city and it was horrible, especially in the winter months when you’re working from 4:00am, handling wet vegetables. I barely lasted a year there before moving to the construction industry which wasn’t much better and then, and this is the good part, in my mid-twenties, I saw the light and went back to school to complete my matriculation.

I continued the journey with the completion of my undergraduate studies in Accounting and then did a Master’s Degree in Commerce. I guess I’m a living example of the power of education and the way that it can transform lives! But I don’t just see it as something that is finite: I’m always looking for ways to increase my knowledge, and soon I’m going to begin further study with an AICD Company Directors Course.

What’s it like working at Flinders? I started here in late 2015 after a 25 year career in State Government. This university really is unique: I am valued for my skills, my opinions are considered, and I have friends and colleagues across all levels and across all areas. Working with such a wide multi-disciplinary group of people can have its challenges, but as a whole it’s rewarding. The College’s activities through the Central Australian Corridor also provide a unique perspective about the ways that we operate culturally in our different sites. Also, we’re a bit restricted at the moment, but in the past it’s been inspiring travelling around to all of our different areas in SA and the NT and meeting the staff and students there.

If you weren’t working in Finance, what else would you be doing? Property development. Hands down, that’s it! Building is in my family DNA. I’ve worked on six different projects over the years, two of which were my own houses. I get this vision about what they will look like and how they will function, and I just work towards it. It’s a natural process for me, almost innate. I get such a deep satisfaction from the whole process, from laying the foundation, to working with bricks and wood and steel, to creating something that’s both functional and worthwhile from disparate materials. I just love it.

What’s one thing you couldn’t live without? Family, espresso coffee and the “World Game”. I know you only asked for one thing but, come on, you’re lucky I stopped at three! I could easily continue: cheese, salami, days at the beach, a good long-term project…