Meet Leah Atkinson – Rural & Remote Health SA Administrative Assistant 

What is your role and what does your work focus on?  

I have recently started with Flinders University as an Administrative Assistant with the Rural & Remote Health team, based at Victor Harbor, working 0.5 FTE. I assist looking after the Victor Harbor campus reception and administration as well as provide local support for our student accommodation.

Where did you work before joining CMPH?  

I have recently returned to work following maternity leave, however prior to this I was working at MyModular (a local electrical soft-wiring manufacturer) as a bid lead. I was with MyModular for 7 years’ beginning as in sales administration and working my way up to the sales team.

What journey brought you to this point in your career?  

I’ve worked in many admin/support roles over my career and really enjoy the versatility of the role. I wasn’t really looking to move to a new job after maternity leave however when this role came up close to home, next door to childcare and minutes from my kids’ school – PLUS the role sounded interesting – I just had to apply! It has certainly ticked all the boxes and the team have been wonderfully welcoming!

What is something you love most about your work?  

I’m still fairly new, so just starting to get the feel for it, but so far I do love the friendly atmosphere! I also love that no two days will be the same – from helping students on campus, to looking after our student accommodation to liaising with contractors. I feel this role will be lots of fun!

How do you like to relax or spend your spare time? 

Relax isn’t a word I know well (I have three children – 7yo, 4yo & 7mo) however in my spare time I am a volunteer with the Australian Breastfeeding Association and a trainee Breastfeeding Educator. I’m passionate about educating new/expecting parents and supporting them on their breastfeeding journey! I was super excited to see Flinders University is a Breastfeeding Friendly Workplace – awesome!

Who is the most famous person you are related to? (or have met)

I met George R. R. Martin, Jerome Flynn (Bronn) & Michelle Fairly (Catelyn Stark) at a Supanova convention many years ago! Game of Thrones, if anyone isn’t sure who they are!

Get to know CMPH