Spotlight on Dr Jayne Barbour, a new Academic Teaching Specialist

Dr Jayne Barbour has been working as a casual tutor for Nutrition and Dietetics at Flinders University since July 2015, teaching a number of nutrition related topics including sports nutrition. She was pleased to secure a position as associate lecturer in July 2018 and looks forward to topic coordinating next year. She shares with us her new role, her areas of interest and career to date.

I completed my PhD in 2015 at UniSA investigating the health benefits of nuts. I am a great advocate of nut consumption and their wonderful nutritional value (especially after, I found improvements in blood vessel function and cognitive tests after 12 weeks consumption of high oleic peanuts)!

Before my undertaking PhD I was employed as a clinical dietitian and have been fortunate to have worked in a number of specialist areas including paediatrics, diabetes, gastroenterology, renal nutrition as well as community health and as dietitian manager at the Lyell McEwen Hospital for several years.

I continue working as a private practice dietitian in order to keep my clinical skills honed and love bringing patient/client examples into my teaching. I enjoy teaching general nutrition and clinical topics but also have an interest in sports nutrition and nutrition counselling, particularly motivational interviewing to assist clients/patients in making behaviour change.

I am excited to be teaching the next generation of Nutrition and Dietitian graduates and pass on the knowledge and experience I have gained over the years. I am pleased to be involved with the Students Eat Well (StEW) program this year for the first time, which aims to increase knowledge of healthy food choices for Flinders students and engaging nutrition and dietetic students in university life. This will be a great opportunity for me to get to know students I may be teaching in future topics and for Nutrition and Dietetic students engage to engage with university life. I look forward to developing my new Teaching Specialist role in the new College of Nursing and Health Sciences and meeting students new to my topics in 2018.

Uncategorised