Student Profile: Franz Reynaldo BASCOPE SANCHEZ

29c7062

1. What is your background?

I’m a general medical practitioner from Bolivia. I’ve been in Australia for 7 years.

1. What kind of course did you complete through Flinders University? If you completed research, what was your topic and who were your supervisors?

I’m currently studying Masters of Public Health – Public Health Stream.

1. What drew you to the Discipline of Public Health at Flinders University to do postgraduate study?

I wanted to be more involved in the formulation of policies and programs to improve health in the community.

1. What did you enjoy about studying Public Health? And what were the challenges?

The main challenge for me, initially was the language, English is my second language but I think that I’m doing quite well.  What I enjoy the most is the quality of the lectures and the quality of material provided by the university.

1. How has studying Public Health shaped what you wanted to do after study / are doing now?

Hopefully, after finishing my masters, I will be able to have access to different jobs which would be fantastic for me in regards to learning and gaining experience.

1. If you could say something to the Australian Prime Minister about any current Australian policy, what would it be?

I think that the current Prime Minister seems to be a lot more tolerant and flexible than the previous one, I would encourage him to formulate some policies to improve affordable housing for the general population of the country.

1. What is your best culinary output? Any particular place that has inspired this?

I like to experiment with different flavors but I was told that my lasagna is quite good.

1. If you could share a vision for Public Health with your friends and family, what would it be?

I would like to contribute to improve he access to health services to disadvantaged people and migrants. Being a migrant myself, I know that there are a lot of issues present in this group which are sometimes not addressed properly.

1. Looking forward, what do you see as some of the major challenges for Australia regarding public health?

I think that in the future, the cost of health insurance and medications would pose a major challenge for families and disadvantaged people.

Student Profiles