Malaysia: Pre-Departure

Hi! My name is Joshua Francis and I’m currently studying a Bachelor of Engineering (Electronic) (Honours) and a Bachelor of IT (Network & Cybersecurity Systems) at Flinders University.

Next month I will be travelling to the national capital of Malaysia; Kuala Lumpur, with 9 other students, as part of the New Colombo Plan where I will undertake 3 weeks of study at the National University of Malaysia, University Kebangsaan Malayisa (UKM). When first hearing of the NCP mobility grant, and having never travelle internationally before, I decided to put forward my expression of interest. After discovering I was fortunate enough to be one of the ten students of Flinders University to have received the scholarship offer, I have been quite excited to have the opportunity to travel and study internationally.

The trip involves spending two weeks undertaking study into various aspects of Malaysian history, culture, politics and economics. The final week of study involves participating in a research project relevant to my field of study. Between all the study, students are provided free time to explore and participate in various tourism related events/cultural tours including visiting various mosques, markets and beaches.

I am looking forward to living abroad, meeting new people, trying new food and exploring a foreign country. To be provided the luxury to experience another culture while studying is an amazing and fortuitous opportunity that I’m extremely grateful for. I expect that I will learn a great deal, work alongside some awesome people, obtain lifelong memorable experiences and have lots of fun while doing so!

Joshua Francis, Bachelor of Information Technology (Network and Cybersecurity Systems) student, participating in “Investigating the history, culture, politics, and science and technology capability of  Malaysia” funded by the New Colombo Plan in January 2018

Outbound Student Blogs Uncategorised