End of the Hong Kong Trip

The Hong Kong trip is finally coming to an end and I must admit I am sad to see it end, while I would love for it to continue and to stay longer all good things must come to an end. This trip has been full of memorable moments and some incredible movies which I will remember forever. As I prepare for my return to Adelaide I can’t help but reflect on the events that have happened.

The second week of the film festival has been filled with some of the best movies I’ve seen but also so real bombs which I could live without. A Story from Chikamatsu and The Last Child were two of the best films I’ve seen in the film festival. The first being a restoration of a classic Japanese film and the other being an extremely well done drama of loss, grief and forgiveness. Movies like these make film festivals worth it and also show what different movies they have to offer. I also took some time to see some non-film festival Asian movies, with one being the Mainland China blockbuster Operation Red Sea which was a high quality military action movie, and the other being Psychic Karuso which was a live action version of the anime of the same name.

Experiences and movies like these are hard to find in Adelaide but this trip has helped me find the drive to search more and create new experiences for myself in Asian cinema.

Flinders has helped give me something I thought I would never be able to do due to a lack of finances and expectations. I don’t think I can ever describe perfectly in words how this trip meant to me but all I can say is thank you to all who have help me to go and experience this.

Jack Halket, Bachelor of Arts student has participated in East Asian Film Industry Engagement Program in March-April 2018. The program is funded by the New Colombo Plan by the Australian Government

• Read Jack’s 1st blog post here and 2nd blog post here
Outbound Student Blogs Short term program Student Exchange 101