The study and exam preparation strategies that successful students use

Update 11/3/20. The document has got a bit of a facelift for 2020, with a few new little nuggets of wisdom in there as well. Just the thing as you try to establish good study habits. 

I’ve posted links to this document in many of my previous blog posts, but I’d never dedicated a blog post to it.

My ‘Evidence-based study and exam tips‘ document is an ever-growing collection of study and exam preparation strategies drawn from my readings of sites like Learning Scientists and Retrieval Practice, as well as the wisdom of the counsellors who have been working with students on these issues for many years.

The goal is to extract those study and exam preparation strategies that have actually been shown to improve academic performance. You can use this document as the basis of making changes to how you study and prepare for exams. These are learning strategies that will benefit you across your lifetime, not just here at University.

I’m constantly revising and improving this document over time as I learn more and I get feedback from students or staff on how it could be improved. So please feel free to send me comments or suggestions.

The current version addresses things like:

1. preparing yourself for success, that is, what conditions do you need to get in place in order to be a good student
  2. how to make the most out of lectures and tutorials
  3. how to get all that information into your head
  4. how to get all that information out of your head
  5. strategies that don’t work that we all still use anyway
  6. embracing the social side of study
  7. how to find the fun in study
  8. what to do when things don’t go so well

I hope you find something useful in it for you.

Take Care

Dr G

Academic skills Psychological Tools