Attending the 10th HOPE Meeting

By Lisa Alcock

In March 2018, I was one of the six Australian delegates who attended the 10th HOPE Meeting with Nobel Laureates, held in Yokohama, Japan. The HOPE Meeting is organised by the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) and brings together approximately 100 delegates from various countries in the South-Pacific and Africa region.

During the Meeting, participants attend lectures given by the Nobel Laureates, engage in group discussions with the Nobel Laureates, and participate in group presentations and various cultural activities. This 4-day Meeting also presented the opportunity for each participant to give a flash talk and present a poster on their research.

Attending the 10th HOPE Meeting was a wonderful experience, both scientifically and culturally. I was able to engage in some great networking opportunities across the various scientific disciplines and make connections with researchers from various countries. I had the opportunity to speak individually with several Nobel Laureates including Barry Sharpless (Chemistry, 2001), Fraser Stoddart (Chemistry, 2016), and Tim Hunt (Medicine and Physiology, 2001). We talked some chemistry, I got some advice about what it takes to pursue a career in science, and of course the insider tips on how to win a Nobel Prize! Spoiler: there is no magic formula!

I would like to thank the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science and the Australian Academy of Science for both funding and selecting me as a participant.

For more information, or if you are interested in applying for next year, check out the Australian Academy of Science’s page.

Awards & Prizes Uncategorised