Hello Kuala Lumpur!

I can’t believe it’s only a few days until I leave for Malaysia! I still haven’t been able to wrap my head around the fact that I’ll be away from home for 1 month.

I’m soooo excited but also a little bit nervous. While I’m there I’ll be working on a research project at the University of Malaya where I’ll be using Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) to characterise the structure of antimicrobial peptides. Their university is huuuge, I’ll be getting lost for sure.

Aside from all of the academic things, I’m largely looking forward to experiencing the culture and the delicious food Malaysia has on offer. While I’m there, I’ll be able to experience the festivities of Chinese New Year as well as Thaipusam, which is a festival where people gather at the Batu Caves in Malaysia to celebrate Lord Murugan, the Hindu god of war. And of course, the trip wouldn’t be complete without a bit (okay, a lot) of shopping.

Wish me luck!

Renata Kucera, a Bachelor of Science (Forensic and Analytical Science) student, participating in Neural Networks as Applied to Social Behaviour-New Colombo Plan project, “Peptide Chemistry: Chemical characterisation of antimicrobial peptides using NMR” at University of Malaya, Malaysia in 2016 

Outbound Student Blogs