Not long now…my exchange begins in just over a month!

When I first began collecting all the documentation required for my exchange application, it was March. It’s been a long process but I’ve finally reached the final stretch having booked my accommodation last night. I just need to buy some plane tickets now and my excitement is increasing with every moment. I will be spending six months on exchange at the University of Copenhagen to study some chemistry and neuroscience topics that are not offered here at Flinders.

I found out about the possibility of studying abroad late last year and I found it a very appealing prospect and, although it was too late to apply to go abroad in semester 2 2016 (ie. now), I decided that going in semester 1 2017 would be a brilliant idea and I started thinking about where I’d like to go. I chose Denmark as it was an area of the world I know little about and I hope to learn some new things and meet new people.

Going to Denmark and living there by myself will pose many challenges I’m sure (living in a foreign place, home sickness etc.) but I know I’ll be able to manage while I’m there and most importantly, I’m going to have fun while I’m there and make some memories that will last a lifetime.

Alex Gheorghiu, Bachelor of Science (Honours) (Nanotechnology)/Bachelor of Letters student, Semester 1 2017 exchange at University of Copenhagen, Denmark