Leading the field of diabetes care and education

In recognition of her leadership and clinical expertise in diabetes care and education, Jayne Lehmann has been awarded the 2017 Credentialled Diabetes Educator of the Year for South Australia.

Jayne graduated from Flinders University with a Diploma of Applied Science (Nursing) in 1984 and began working as a Registered Nurse at Flinders Medical Centre. Her time spent on the diabetes ward of the hospital set the scene for a career in diabetes care and education, just five years later she returned to Flinders to embark on a Bachelor of Nursing with a major in education.

Now with over thirty years’ experience in diabetes and education Jayne runs her own private practice, EdHealth Australia, and has pioneered services for people with disability and diabetes.

“The insights I’ve gained from my work caring for people with intellectual disability, as well as those learned from the care of our middle daughter who has Dravet Syndrome and a severe intellectual disability, lead me to become an advocate to the South Australian government and non-government services on the needs of people with intellectual disability,” says Jayne.

Jayne has now written an online manual for support workers on the care of people with intellectual disability or acquired brain injury who have diabetes and plans to offer further online education programs.

“Through the online presence I want to inspire health professionals who provide diabetes care and education at the grassroots level to become more involved in sharing contemporary diabetes care knowledge. I’d like to see the website grow into a place where people get evidence based practice tips and resources so that they can easily include this information in their own interactions with people with diabetes,” says Jayne.

Jayne has become a national leader in her field and often receives calls for support and ideas from clinicians across Australia. As a member of the Adelaide Primary Health Network Southern Clinical Council and Disability Health Priority Group Jayne was recently re-appointed as the Chair of their Membership Advisory Council, advising the Board of the APHN.

“The diploma and degree I completed at Flinders University have set me up for a great career in my chosen specialty,” says Jayne. “I learnt how to think, dream and make things happen that I could never have dreamed were possible when I was at Sturt as an 18 year old starting out on a journey that continues to surprise and stretch the breadth of my capacity as both an individual and professional.”

Find out more about Jayne Lehmann’s work in disability and diabetes: Jayne Lehmann: EdHealth Australia   

College of Nursing and Health Sciences Nursing and midwifery Stories