The gift of speech

Nayantara Nambiar

Speech Pathologist Nayantara Nambiar (MSpPath ’19) came to study at Flinders University with a passion for helping people communicate with the world. 

Nayantara graduated from the Master of Speech Pathology in 2019, and a year later is back home in Chennai, India, sharing her knowledge through her new role as a Speech Pathologist at the Brain Health and Rehabilitation Centre, Unified Brain Health Care (UBHC).

Discovering Speech Pathology inspired Nayantara to choose Flinders to pursue her studies and make a difference in the lives of those who struggle with language and communication.

“I always wanted to be in a field that helped or served people and once I found Speech Pathology, there was no looking back,” she says.

“I feel very grateful that I get a chance to empower people’s voices and support their right to communicate.”

Partnering her Flinders education and experience with the dream of helping those with speech difficulties, Nayantara is able to deliver Speech Pathology in a unique way, opening her mind to the diversity of the profession in a different culture.

“My time at Flinders has made me more broad-minded and more accepting of diversity. It has taught me new methods of learning and the latest techniques in my field. The support I received for the extra-curricular activities I pursued, drove me to continue them.”

Nayantara gained insight in the Australian speech pathology industry by doing placement with the Department for Education in South Australia.

She was then offered a role as a Speech Pathologist at the Port Augusta office where she worked for six months before returning to India.

“A placement with the Department for Education during my degree gave me a foundation for my work with the same organisation,” she says.

“Having heard about working in the remote regions of Australia, from my classmates and through my degree, I always had an interest in working in such an environment and in working with the Aboriginal communities. The complex cultural, linguistic and socio-economic background of the community and the support of an excellent team allowed me to learn and develop many unique skills.”

Nayantara now hopes to make a difference at home, focussing on Speech Pathology within the education system in India.

“I want to bring my learning from Australia to India and further the development of Speech Pathology practice in my city.”

“As Speech Pathology practice has not yet evolved into mainstream schools, my dream would be to set up this practice as I have seen the benefits of working with children with speech and language difficulties in the education system.”

Her most recent role as a Speech Pathologist at UBHC in India marks the start of a new chapter for Nayantara’s important work with speech and education.

College of Nursing and Health Sciences Health Our recent graduates Stories