Flinders-Nankai Graduate Profile – Dr MA Jun (MHA ‘16)

Recognising a need to improve her capabilities as a hospital director, Dr MA Jun found immediate benefits from studying the MHA offered through the Flinders-Nankai program.

“When I commenced my studies, I had just been appointed as the director of a large general hospital, from having been the director of a specialist hospital, and there were lots of new challenges confronting me,” says Dr MA. “What I learned from the FlindersNankai program enhanced the quality of my management skills. It also taught me about the high-level hospital management personnel training platform and the mechanism of a hospital’s senior management personnel training. It was invaluable knowledge.”

Now serving as President of Shanghai Tongren Hospital – having successively served as the director of two hospitals – Dr MA Jun has won recognition within China’s health industry for the rapid development of both these during her tenure.

“The hospital where I am now working has gone from a struggling entity to becoming a university-affiliated hospital,” she says. “Coming from obscurity, it has become a landmark hospital of the Shanghai Regional Medical Centre. It was the process of learning and practicing through my MHA studies that helped me establish my own leadership style to effect this transformation.”

The hospital’s size has doubled in five years, making it one of the fastest-growing hospitals in Shanghai – and now Dr MA wants to elevate it into the ranks of Tertiary Class-A (highest grade) hospitals of Shanghai.

“I had been able to adapt what I leaned from my MHA studies to my work in the general hospital,” she says. “I now fully control the operation and management of the hospital, and have formulated a five-year strategic development plan. This new hospital faced many difficulties and challenges, and it needed comprehensive transformation and development.”

“During my studies and after graduation, I have been able to apply many of the theories I learned to reconstruct the hospital’s organisational structure, rebuild medical processes, and improve the service standard at all levels. My studies exposed me to a variety of classic management theories, which transformed my management style from experiential to scientific.

Dr MA Jun points to the strength of the MHA program for making this possible. “For people like me who were already working in very demanding jobs, the MHA curriculum is conducive to both work and study,” she says. “The course is highly professional, with equal emphasis on theory and practice. The teaching methods are flexible, and the professors from China and Australia complement each other, which helps students to obtain an international perspective while still focusing on national conditions in China.”

Dr MA says the MHA lecturers made a deep impression on her, led by the kind and rigorous Professor Arthur van Deth. “During our opening ceremony, Professor van Deth talked about the international perspective of the medical and health system, laying a solid foundation for the entire learning process”.

Among her Australian teachers, Dr MA Jun also fondly remembers Walter Spehr for his inspiring courses in hospital financial resource management and organisational communication, and the always-smiling Mark Brommeyer, who taught important courses closely related to daily management. “The risk management and clinical governance courses played an active role in how I was able to submit my hospital’s accreditation of the Tertiary Hospital Grade Review,” says Dr MA.

Dr MA Jun says several of her Chinese professors were equally memorable, led my marketing lecturer Mr SUN Tao, who provided rich and profound examples for case studies. She also thanks her patient Thesis Instructor Mr ZHAI Lei for providing solid theoretical foundation, the strong coordination abilities of Mrs YANG Xia of the Teaching Center – and she holds dear memories of finance teacher Mr WU Yanlong, who has since sadly died through illness.

Beyond the help provided by teachers, Dr MA also points to alumni activities as a rich resource for graduates to use. “The dual alumni status of Flinders University and Nankai University allows students to gain access to a wider range of alumni networks.

Dr MA Jun says the sum of these benefits is far beyond what she had imagined and has provided a great boost to her career.

“When I was a child, I wanted to become an architect, but instead I studied medicine and became a doctor,” she says. “Later, I engaged in medical management and became a hospital director, and although these may seem far apart, through all of them I have managed to become a person making many valuable contributions to society.”

The MHA program also stirred in Dr MA a renewed passion for learning. “Returning to the classroom after so many years to study for the MHA program, I had to urge myself to read books, do homework and research. But I thrived. Even though it made me busier, it felt good to be a student again. I now want to further my studies and try to finish my doctorate. In addition, I am determined to become a Master’s supervisor in medical management and participate in teaching medical management. Working through the MHA program has helped me develop a habit of lifelong learning.

马骏认为,南开大学-澳大利亚弗林德斯合 作办学的医院管理硕士项目迅速得帮助 她提高了自己的能力,让她得以胜任医院 院长一职。

“当我开始学习的时候,我已经被任命为 一家大型综合医院的院长。在此之前,我 在一所专科医院任职院长,这一转变带来 了一系列新的挑战,”马骏说道。“南开-弗 林德斯项目的学习提高了我的管理技能, 也让我了解医院高层管理人才培养平台 和医院高层管理人才培养机制。这些都是 非常宝贵的知识。”

马骏成功担任两家医院院长,现在就任上 海交通大学医学院附属同仁医院的院长。 马骏医生也因她就任期间两所医院所取得 的快速发展而在中国医疗行业颇负盛名。

“我现在任职的医院从一家陷入困境的机 构成长成为了一家大学附属医院,”她说。“ 我们的医院从默默无闻到成为上海地区医 疗中心的标志性医院。正是通过MHA学习 和实践的过程,帮助我确立了自己的领导 风格,从而实现了这一转变。”

上海交通大学医学院附属同仁医院在五年 的时间内规模翻番,成为了上海地区发展 最迅速的医院。如今马骏希望将它进一步 发展成为上海的三甲医院。

“我在综合医院的工作中能够实践我在 医院管理硕士所学习的内容,”她说道。“现 在我全权负责医院的运营和管理,并且规 划了一个五年战略发展计划。这所新兴医 院面临着很多困难与挑战,它需要全面的 变革和发展。在我求学过程中以及毕业后,我能够把我 所学到的各种理论付诸实践,重组医院的 组织结构,重新梳理就医流程,全方位提高 服务质量。我学到了多种经典的管理理论, 我的管理风格完成了从经验主义到科学化 管理的转变。”

马骏指出了该项目的优势是一切成为 可能。“对于像我一样工作繁忙的人来 说,MHA的课程设置很适合兼顾工作与学 习,”她说道。“这门课程非常职业导向,并 且理论与实践并重。课程的教学方法非常 灵活,来自中国和澳大利亚的教授们相得 益彰,在帮助学生们获得国际视野的同时 又着眼于中国国情。”

马骏说,医院管理硕士的老师们给她留下 了深刻的印象,尤其是善良且充满活力的 Arthur van Deth教授。“在我们的开学典 礼上,Arthur van Deth教授讨论了医疗和 健康系统的国际视角,为我们的整个学习 过程奠定了坚实的基础。”

在所有的澳洲老师中,医院金融资源管 理和组织沟通课程的Walter Spehr老师 以及教授日常管理,总是微笑着的Mark Brommeyer老师都给马骏留下了深刻的 印象。“我在风险管理和临床管理课程中 所学到的知识,在我递交三级甲等医院考 核申请的时候极大地帮助了我,”马骏回 忆道。

马骏认为由市场营销讲师孙涛先生所带领 的中国教授们也同样令人印象深刻。孙涛 老师擅长利用丰富多彩的案例进行分析研 究。她也很感谢她的论文指导老师翟磊,翟老师为她打下了坚实的理论基础。她也很 感激教师中心拥有出色组织协调能力的杨 霞女士。马骏还缅怀病逝的金融课老师吴 彦龙先生。

除了老师们的帮助,马骏认为校友活动对 于毕业生来说也是一个大有裨益的资源。“ 作为弗林德斯大学和南开大学两所大学的 校友,毕业生有机会接触一个更为广泛的 校友人际网。”

马骏认为以上这些收获都远远超出了她的 想象,极大地助力了她的事业。

“当我还是一个孩子的时候,我梦想着成 为一名建筑师,但是我最终学习了医学专 业,并成为了一名医生,”她说道。“后来,我 开始医疗管理事业,成为了一名医院院长。 虽然这些都看起来并没有关联,但是通过 这些经历,我最终成为了一名对社会有贡 献的人。”

医院管理硕士项目重燃了马骏学习的激 情。“在多年后重回校园学习此课程让我 不得不说服自己重新阅读,写作业和做 研究。但是我坚持下来并取得了成功。虽 然学业让我更加繁忙,但是重新做回学 生的感觉非常棒。现在我希望继续学习 并取得博士学位。另外我还希望成为一 名医疗管理领域的研究生导师,并教授 相关课程。该项目的学习让我养成了终 生学习的习惯。”

College of Business, Government and Law Transnational Education