Real-world learning in action

Liza Fahmida

Inspired by her mother, who was the first female lecturer at Bhola Government College, situated in a remote, conservative town in Bangladesh, Liza Fahmida (MPubAdmin ’16) has consistently pushed boundaries in her career, taking every opportunity to learn new skills and still enjoy her educational journey along the way.

“After my graduation from the University of Dhaka, I joined my current organisation Bangladesh Bank, the central bank of Bangladesh in 1999,” Liza said.

Liza became proficient in policy making and analysis of the banking sector, with a specific focus on foreign exchange policy and management, central bank reform, financial stability, SME development and financial inclusion.

“I was part of the financial stability department, looking at issues ranging from financial viability to efficiency and integrity, while continuing to challenge much of the banking sector in Bangladesh,” she said.

Wanting to strengthen her skills and knowledge on these challenges and risks besetting the industry, Liza successfully applied for and completed a Master of Public Administration at Flinders University through the Australia Awards Scholarship. Liza received Chancellor’s Letter of Commendation from Flinders University for her outstanding academic performance.

“I never felt that far from my home in this loving campus surrounded by mother nature,” Liza said.

“The multicultural blending and support services for international students truly enhanced my exposure. I miss OASIS! I miss Flinders library! I miss classroom participation with my friends from different parts of the globe and my learned teachers!”

Liza still now credits her Australian Awards experience as a major contributor to her continuing professionalism and success. Given her current position as Additional Director, SME & Special Programmes Department, Bangladesh Bank, there’s no doubting Liza’s thesis of ‘Corporate Governance and Corporate Social Responsibility in banks in Bangladesh’ showed true dedication to improving the finance landscape in her country.

“Flinders helped me develop my analytical skills, allowing me to contribute to the improvement of the banking sector in Bangladesh,” Liza said.

“I can look at issues with a more critical lens.

“My two years of study in fact changed my perception and outlook – it has enhanced my decision-making capacity, negotiation skills and leadership attitude.”

Now, Liza is pursuing her PhD in Women entrepreneurship development and women empowerment at Taylors University, Malaysia.

“I always consider that the technical knowledge I have gained from my scholarship – on topics such as organisational culture, ethics and governance, policy analysis, and public management – is highly relevant and applicable to my ongoing professional and research work,” she said.

College of Business, Government and Law International