Jared Strawbridge, Physiotherapist. Class of 2014

Jared Strawbridge physiotherapist

Current role and responsibility

I am currently an Associate Lecturer on the Master of Physiotherapy program at Flinders University and the Senior Clinical Educator of Physiotherapy at the Rural Support Service within SA Health. Additionally, I work casually at Wakefield Sports + Exercise Medicine Clinic as part of the inpatient Orthopaedic team. My interests within Physiotherapy include musculoskeletal, sports, orthopaedics, rehabilitation and exercise prescription.

What do you like most about what you do?

The variety! Teaching, Clinical Education, Student supervision, Public health, Private Health and Leadership roles and responsibilities across metro and rural health.

I enjoy being able to use and develop lots of new skills and meet and work with lots of different people. There are so many different options to work within Physiotherapy – I am never bored and always busy!

What is the achievement you are most proud of?

Leading and developing the Physiotherapy department and service across the Limestone Coast. Improving the safety and quality of Physiotherapy services and making strategic decisions and ‘planting trees I will never see’ in the region.

What Flinders experience has had a lasting impact on you?

The clinical placement opportunities I had were excellent! Observational learning at the Collingwood Football club, consolidating my musculoskeletal training with Senior Physiotherapist, Andrew Chapman, at the QEH and the whole rural experience of working in Orthopaedics at the Alice Springs Hospital.

What advice do you have for your younger self?

Focus less on perfection at University and more on progression and self-reflection.
Once you are a clinical Physio it is almost unrealistic to expect you will manage every patient encounter perfectly to a HD standard with nothing to improve on. Place this expectation on yourself and you risk burning out very quickly and not enjoying your work.
Instead, learn to feel comfortable with uncertainty, focus on your reasoning and lean on your team mates and experienced clinicians for support.

Celebrating 10 years of Occupational Therapy and Physiotherapy at Flinders – more graduate stories 

College of Nursing and Health Sciences Physiotherapy