William Crowe, Occupational Therapist. Class of 2017

William Crowe

Current role and responsibility

Occupational Therapist – Inclusive Technology Advisor

What do you like most about what you do?

Being able to utilise modern technology in a wide range of applications to get the best outcomes for the people I work with.

My favourite work is when I get to make video gaming accessible for my clients. Enabling an increasingly highly valued and occasionally socially participatory activity for people while also sharing a common interest make for the best days of my role.

What is the achievement you are most proud of?

Facilitating PlayStation 4 gameplay through purely eye-gaze technology. Using a combination of software and hardware with the right converters I was able to enable a person with a degenerative condition to re-engage in a previously valued activity with only the use of his eyes.

What Flinders experience has had a lasting impact on you?

During the observational placement I had at the Repat wards I remember deciding that day that I had finally found the career path for me. Seeing the amazing impact and value that the OTs had on their client’s recovery was actually life-changing.
I remember leaving that placement feeling inspired and confident with the decision I had made to spend the next 4-5 years studying Occupational Therapy.

What advice do you have for your younger self?

As hard as it can be, it’s important to stay on top of the latest research and knowledge in your area of practice. Staying informed of current trends in society can show you what occupations are important and where are practice may take us.

Celebrating 10 years of Occupational Therapy and Physiotherapy at Flinders – more graduate stories

College of Nursing and Health Sciences Occupational Therapy