Dr Elizabeth ‘Didy’ Button retires

Dr Didy Button and her dog, Hank

As nursing stalwart Dr Didy Button (DipAppSc(Nurs) ’82, BNg ’88, MNg(Cwk) ’03, PhD ’18) prepares to close the textbook after 35 years of inspiring academia work in the College of Nursing and Health Sciences, we reached out to learn more about her experience of Nursing Education at Flinders University.

Why did you choose to study at Flinders University and what is your favourite memory?

I chose Flinders due to research methodology and my favourite memories are teaching the wide variety of students and working with excellent nursing academics.

What inspired you to pursue nursing and teaching as a career?

Seeing nursing students understand the person across the lifespan and how to provide safe quality care.

How did your Flinders degree prepare you for your current role?

All of my studies a Flinders have equipped me with the knowledge and skills to prepare the nurses of the future.

How does your current career compare to the career/job aspirations you had as a child?

I always wanted to be a nurse, then a teacher. At Royal Adelaide Hospital, then Sturt SACAE and then Flinders I was able to do both!

How did your time at Flinders University change you professionally or personally?

Endless education and research opportunities to plan, implement and evaluate.

What are you passionate about in your current role and what has been your greatest career achievement?

I’m passionate about preparing the next generation of IT literate nursing health professionals. My greatest achievement would have to be teaching over 5000 undergrad and postgrad students over the 35 years in Education. Some at Sturt SACAE then at Flinders after the amalgamation in 1992.

What are you looking forward to in retirement?

Being able to enjoy my time with family, friends and travel nationally and internationally.

What advice would you give to someone considering nursing as a career?

A career in Nursing Education is a career with no boundaries. Wherever there are people, there will be a need for health care and also a need for nurses and nurse educators.

College of Nursing and Health Sciences Nursing and midwifery