Finding the right mix for business success

Maurice Crotti

Cav. Maurice Crotti AO (BA ’71) graduated from Flinders University in 1971 and says, “Flinders University gave me the opportunity to have a second shot at tertiary education. With my Bachelor of Arts I was able to be accepted to do an MBA at Melbourne University.”

“This education was an essential foundation for me to develop the skills I needed to not only become involved in our family business but also to play a role in the broader community.

“When I finished my tertiary education, I spent time in Italy and the United States working in the pasta industry and for an American advertising agency.

“Upon returning to South Australia, I was able to take part in developing strategies to place San Remo, over time, in a dominant position in our industry.  San Remo now has manufacturing plants in Australia, South East Asia and Europe.”

Maurice was Managing Director and then Chief Executive Officer of the family-owned business, the San Remo Macaroni Company, from 1985 to 2015 and is now Joint Chairman and Joint CEO. The Group is one of the largest privately owned food companies in Australia.

In 2015, he received the Distinguished Alumnus Award from the Melbourne Business School at the University of Melbourne, the highest honour the school can bestow on an alumni for professional achievement and service to society.

In 2017, Maurice was knighted by the Italian Government with the Honour of Cavaliere (Cav.), for his achievements in the field of entrepreneurship, with particular reference to the promotion of Italy and Italian food.

In 2018, he was awarded the Officer of the Order of Australia (AO), for his service to the food manufacturing industry, food industry export initiatives, his involvement in State Economic Development Boards for South Australia and industry export and economic development programmes for Australia.

He was a Board Member of the Australian Wheat Board and a director of Agri Chain Solutions Ltd a subsidiary of the Prime Minister’s Supermarket to Asia strategy.  He initiated the formation of the South Australia Food & Beverage Exports Association which is now Food South Australia.

Maurice is currently a member of the Board of Governors of the Institute for International Trade (University of Adelaide).

An avid supporter of the arts for over 30 years, Maurice has been on several boards – the State Opera of SA, State Opera Ring Cycle Board and the State Theatre Company, as well as being a supporter of the National Gallery of Australia.

Cav. Maurice Crotti AO was awarded a 2023 Convocation Medal for his outstanding entrepreneurship and ambassadorship for food manufacturing, export and economic development in SA.

2023 Alumni Awards Alumni Awards Business College of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences Convocation