FHBHRU successfully partnered with Country SA PHN to deliver the Flinders Chronic Condition Management Program to health professionals based in regional South Australia. The project aimed to provide health professionals with the opportunity to learn about chronic condition management and risk factor management, and to work with their clients in their clinical practice to enhance opportunities for self-management.
The program encompassed online chronic condition management training and a series of one-day workshops held in Nuriootpa, Wallaroo, Renmark, Port Augusta, Port Pirie, Clare, Mount Barker and Mount Gambier. Over 70 participants attended the regional workshops, which provided an opportunity for supported practice of the assessment and care planning process with a volunteer from the local community.
The benefits of the training opportunity have been highlighted in feedback from participants as:
- “a unified method that is well designed to capture and involve client in goal setting”
- “to put down in client’s words”
- Useful “interaction with the volunteer and the critique session on the care plan”
- “need to increase self-management for in-patients”
- “exploration of the impact physical health has on mental and social wellbeing”