Did you know that many sessional staff begin teaching with little or no actual teaching experience, background or support? During July and August, the Centre for Innovation in Learning and Teaching (CILT) runs a range of workshops specifically designed to support sessional staff with teaching at Flinders. Workshops include:
- Introduction to Sessional Teaching offered as a two part workshop with Part 1 online and Part 2 offered either as an online or face-to-face workshop (18 July). It covers roles and responsibilities, planning and facilitating teaching, managing groups and interactive sessions and the relationship between student learning and your teaching.
- Science and Engineering Demonstrator Training (20 July) covers roles and responsibilities, promoting and supporting laboratory-based learning, assessment and feedback for student learning.
- Sessional Teaching: Introduction to Assessment (9 August) explores more on using assessment and feedback for student learning.
For sessional staff working with first year students, CILT offers:
- Sessional Staff: supporting the success of your first year students (19 July)
- Science and Engineering Demonstrator Training: working with first year students (31 July) exploring the importance of first year, as well as identification and support of at-risk students, working with diverse student cohorts and providing usable feedback.
Sessional staff may be eligible for reimbursement to attend these sessions.
Please contact the Centre for Innovation in Learning and Teaching or your supervisor for more information.
Customised workshops for sessional staff can be delivered in your School according to your specific needs. Please contact Ann Luzeckyj by email or telephone: 8201 3844