Champion of research

Talented senior surgeon and senior academic Professor David Wattchow was amongst the first cohort of medical students at Flinders University in 1974. Today he’s also a champion for research.

His association and collaboration with FliProf Wattchownders has been 40 years in the making and today he is committed to ensuring that we can tackle the fundamental questions which make life-changing differences.

Recipient of the award of Companion of the University, Professor Wattchow,  is recognised internationally as an expert in the treatment of complex cancers of the distal colon. Professor Wattchow chairs the Clinician’s Special Purpose Fund, a group of senior specialists at Flinders Medical Centre, who draw on the proceeds of their private practice and have provided over $3 million in grants since it was founded some 20 years ago.
In that time, the trust fund has financed a continuous PhD scholarship through the Flinders Medical Centre Foundation, three separate PhD scholarships, two Fellowships through the University, and numerous smaller grants for students presenting research overseas. The group also contributed $1 million to the construction of the Flinders Centre for Innovation in Cancer.
Earlier this year Professor Wattchow (left) met with the Vice-Chancellor Professor Colin Stirling to discuss the ongoing commitment from the Clinician’s Special Purpose Fund. Speaking about his passion for supporting Flinders University, Professor Wattchow says, “I consider myself well paid for my efforts – for me just doing my job. So, a bit should go back to the place that trained me”.

Donor News News