US Election Predictions from a former Washington Intern

Meaghan King (BA/BIntRel ’18), Communications Consultant
Interned for: Congresswoman Eddie Bernice Johnson (D), Texas, 2017

What is your prediction for the US Presidential election?

I think it’s unwise to make any predictions for the Presidential Election this year.

US polling data has been plagued for a long time with inconsistencies, and I think the added challenges with COVID, and the tragic deaths of a not insignificant number of potential voters make it all a little too dicey to call it for either party this round.

That said, if Biden wins I will be the first one celebrating!

What do you think Australia could learn from the US political system?

One of the things I like most about the US political system is the ability for politicians to be a part of a political party without being forced to ‘toe the party line’.

Australia’s political party system is much more restricted and official. In Australia you are an official member of a party, you pay fees and you are expected to get on board with all the party policies. I do prefer that in the United States, politicians can be representatives of a party, but have the choice whether they want to support broad party policies.

What are some of your best memories of the Washington Internship Program?

I have two clear memories of the Program that will stick with me for the rest of my life.

The first is attending President Trump’s inauguration. As someone who believes in Democratic values it was a really difficult day, and a hard event to sit through, but to be able to attend a Presidential inauguration was an incredible experience that I will likely never be able to have the opportunity to do again.

My second-best memory is attending the Women’s March on Washington the day after the inauguration. I’d spent most of the previous day crying with other interns after watching the inauguration (dramatic, I know!) and it was a struggle to get myself out the door the next day to go to the March – and I’m so glad I did!

I remember rounding the corner of our apartment block, looking up and seeing thousands and thousands of people with signs and pink pussy hats – everyone was so joyful, you could feel the energy and power vibrating off the crowd. It was without question the most lifechanging experience going to Washington provided me.

Join our expert commentators and watch the US Presidential Election
Wednesday 4 November, 10am to 4pm

Join us in person to watch the action unfold on the super screen in the Student Plaza at the Bedford Park campus or register now to watch online

Learn more about the Washington Internship Program

DISCLAIMER: THIS CONTENT IS THE VIEW OF THE AUTHOR AND FLINDERS UNIVERSITY DOES NOT TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE ACCURACY OR COMPLETENESS OF THE MATERIAL.