Placements are helping Harrison form his own career opportunities and teaching style

Harrison Paay is ready to enter the education industry with confidence as a result of his professional placement opportunities through studying a Bachelor of Education (Secondary).

“Undertaking placement and witnessing different types of learning and teaching styles in practice has been invaluable and helped me figure out my own teaching pedagogy”, says Harrison. “As a soon-to-be teacher, I recognise that students bring with them a diverse range of backgrounds, interests and skillsets, and that it’s my role to create an environment where all students can contribute, be motivated and achieve success.”

Harrison has grasped the opportunities that Flinders has provided to gain experience in the field with both hands over the past two years.

“The biggest highlights throughout my degree so far have been gaining real-world teaching experience during placements and having the opportunity to network and build contacts in the industry”, says Harrison. “So far, I have completed two teaching placements. I undertook my first placement in 2020 at Hawthorndene Primary School, which preceded my second placement at Eastern Fleurieu School in 2021.

Due to his passion for sport, Harrison has ambitions of one day being a Physical Education teacher.

“I have always enjoyed any opportunity to help people”, says Harrison. “Combine this with my passion for sport and studying to become a Physical Education teacher just seemed like the right fit.”

As a high school student, Harrison learned the value of helping those around him and forming quality relationships, which ultimately influenced his career choice.

“The decision to pursue a career in secondary education was underpinned by my experiences as a Year 12 student”, says Harrison. “I was able to develop stronger relationships with my teachers, which ultimately brought the best out of me.”

The knowledge and skills Harrison has developed throughout his degree have not only benefited his teaching career, but also his non-teaching role at Woodcroft College and his volunteer work in community sport.

“In my time studying Education at Flinders, I have learnt that clear communication is imperative for success”, says Harrison. “In my everyday life, where I am heavily involved in school sport and president of a volleyball club, having effective communication skills has enabled me to engage and develop relationships with a diverse range of people.”

Flinders was the obvious choice for Harrison who lives South of the city, and while the location was a major drawcard for him, what has kept him here was the overall learning experience.

“Flinders being only ten minutes down the expressway, the quality of teaching, fantastic learning resources, and modern facilities is what set Flinders apart from the other institutions”, says Harrison. “A number of my friends have also graduated from Flinders and could not speak more highly of their experience.”

Interested in becoming a secondary school teacher? Find out more about how studying at Flinders can prepare you for a rewarding, lifelong career:

Bachelor of Education (Secondary)

Bachelor of Education (Secondary Health and Physical Education)

Education Undergraduate