Caitlyn Hoey | Studying at Uni while studying Year 12

Prior to participating in the Extension Studies program during my last year of high school I had many misconceptions about university, what university life would be like and the requirements of doing a degree. When it became an option to do this program I was nervous, but excited to experience university life without having to commit to the pressure of doing a degree.

Participating in a topic at university opened the doorway to a kind of studying that I couldn’t have experienced during high school. Suddenly I was exposed to independent learning and discussions with people from different places, different cultures, and different age groups, providing me with a new perspective on your chosen topic as well as life in general.

The exposure to lectures and tutorials was an eye-opener for beginning my first year in a Law degree – unlike most other first years, I knew what to expect from spending a significant time on university grounds in Year 12, and understood the need to read the materials and attend the lectures. Not only that, but I knew the best times to get a car park, the best food to get, the nicest places to study, and I was well accustomed to moving out of my comfort zone to talk to other people. You begin to learn that networking is best done at university.

There is a significant difficulty in managing Year 12 and a university topic through the Extension Studies, particularly during the second semester when the timetables do not match up by at least a week or so. This is the time to learn that time management is ESSENTIAL, and last minute assignments are counter-productive to doing well and giving yourself time to relax. There is also difficulty in arranging to get to university, particularly when your tutorial or lecture times clash with a Year 12 class at school or you have to rely on public transport. Be sure to organise with your teachers at school an arrangement should a tutorial clash with a school class, and remember to check with the topic coordinator of your university topic to see if the lectures are online – this will help in the event that you can’t get to university to be there in person, keeping in mind tutorials require attendance.

All the best!

Caitlyn

Caitlyn Hoey Extension Studies Student Advice Uncategorized