NTMP Student, Samuel Turner awarded Oral presentation Runner Up at World STI & HIV Congress 2015

Professor Basil Donovan and Samuel Turner

Congratulations to Samuel Turner, Flinders Northern Territory Medical Program (NTMP) student from James Cook University, who was awarded Oral Presentation Runner Up at the World STI & HIV Congress held in Brisbane in September 2015.

Samuel presented the research he conducted in 2014 as part of his Bachelor of Medical Science (Honours) Course, while working with Associate Professor, Daniel Fierer, MD, infectious disease physician at the Mount Sinai Hospital, New York City.

His research focussed on the detection of Hepatitis C Virus in bodily fluids from HIV-infected men in New York City.

The abstract of his research project was accepted for oral presentation at both the World STI & HIV Congress and the Australasian HIV & AIDS Conference.

“I will never forget the amazing experience I had of both living and researching in New York City. It was truly a life changing experience, and to top it all off, presenting my research at an international conference was a huge honour for me personally”, Samuel said.

Prize winners for the World STI & HIV Congress 2015

Samuel Turner 6th Year MBBS (Royal Darwin Hospital) \ James Cook University | Townsville, QLD |
Email: samuel.turner@my.jcu.edu.au | Phone: +61431686304

Flinders NT Medical Program (NTMP)