Flinders NT welcomes Margot Wall, Campus Administrator Nhulunbuy

Flinders NT welcomes Margot Wall, recently appointed Campus Administrator at the Nhulunbuy Facility. “After 7 years, Gemma Porteous has taken off and embarked on this thing we call ‘life’, and I jumped into her shoes in April and been sprinting ever since”, says Margot.

With a background in administration, Margot found herself in the construction industry in 2011, taking her from her hometown of Brisbane to Hay Point 25km south of Mackay QLD. This became her home for 4 years where she settled into her ’little house by the sea’. She followed the construction industry into the marine sector which took her to Weipa on the Cape York Peninsula for 2 years.

“I’ve gone from a city girl to a bush girl in remote areas of this beautiful country and found a passion for fishing, particularly Barramundi, which Nhulunbuy is gracious to provide”, explains Margot.

As a member of the Flinders NT RIPPL team, Margot’s role includes supporting health students on placement in Nhulunbuy. She says, “I have a huge respect for the students who are placed in this region and I take on board the many years of study, dedication and commitment to their chosen field.

“I am steadfast in treating all students with equal status, and equally the students do in return. From the moment they ‘hit the ground’ I orientate them around the town being sure they are aware that crocodiles do run in a straight line, buffalo cannot climb trees, midges will render you itchy for weeks and snakes will climb into your back pack.

“Most importantly and in closing, the experience and exposure to the Indigenous peoples of East Arnhem Land is what inspires the students to return again and again.

Flinders NT