Back-to-back nursing placements in the Barkly region

Renee Mellier, Nursing student from Charles Darwin University

Renee Mellier from Charles Darwin University, recently completed ten weeks of back-to-back nursing placements in the Northern Territory’s Barkly region, supported by the Flinders NT placement team.

Renee was able to spend four weeks at the Tennant Creek Hospital in both the General Ward and General Practice, two weeks at Barkly Region Alcohol & Drug Abuse Advisory Group (BRADAAG) and four weeks in Primary Health care in the local community.

‘Thank you to all the lovely Flinders NT staff especially Pene Curtis for phone calls and check ins, and Erica Petrovic for answering my questions and concerns. I felt immense welcome and support, especially during the pandemic’, says Renee.

The Barkly region has exposed me to many opportunities I wouldn’t have experienced back home. My time has been wonderful and I am thankful for the placement experiences I have gained and the people I have met along the way.

Centre for Remote Health (CRH) Flinders NT Remote and Rural Interprofessional Placement Learning NT (RIPPL NT) Student Placements