Your student representatives on the University Higher Degree by Research Committee (UHDRC)

The University Higher Degrees by Research Committee (UHDRC) is an important governance sub-committee of the Academic Senate, which assists Senate to discharge its responsibilities regarding the accreditation, quality and compliance of higher degree by research education and training.

The UHDRC has student representation in its membership to enhance its student-centred approach and voice for the governance of HDR students. Student representation is embedded in the UHDRC’s Member Composition, within its Terms of Reference (ToR), and provides for:

• two HDR Student Members as voting members, and
  • two HDR Student Alternate Members, to attend meetings as observers and Student Member back-ups.

The committee membership comprises the Dean of Graduate Research, College HDR Coordinators, two HDR student members as voting members, two HDR student alternate members, a student finance representative and HDR administrators. The term of the HDR student members is 1 year.

Your HDR Student Members (voting) are

• Sarah Crossman
  • Amandi Hiyare.

The HDR Student Alternate Members are

• Hamid Ullah Azizi
  • Nathan Harrison.

If you’d like to contact your HDR student representatives, please send an email to: UHDRC.studentreps@flinders.edu.au

About Sarah Crossman

I am a PhD student in the College of Education, Psychology and Social Work. My research focuses on determining the multi-layered factors that influence adults’ decisions to engage in sport at various life stages. I am a passionate sports participant and I currently compete in triathlons, and this prompted my interest in pursuing a career and PhD study into the range of factors that facilitate, limit, or inhibit individuals’ sport involvement.

I currently work as a Research Assistant in the Sport, Health, Activity, Performance and Exercise (SHAPE) Research Centre, and have previous research experience in the spatial and environmental sciences. With over twenty years of professional experience in both the university and government sectors, I am excited and feel privileged to represent the HDR student community on the University Higher Degree by Research Committee.

About Amandi Hiyare

I am a full-time PhD student at the College of Medicine and Public Health. My study focuses on using data linkage to determine the prevalence of chronic kidney disease among young Aboriginal people and to better understand early clinical markers and health service utilisation patterns among this population.

As a second-year PhD student, I have a good understanding of the unique challenges and opportunities that students face when undertaking higher-degree research. I believe that combination of diverse expertise, experiences and perspectives particularly student voices is important in creating positive experiences at university.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any concerns or queries regarding the committee or the Flinders University HDR program in general.

Uncategorised