Parallel Rural Community Curriculum Alumni Davina Lovegrove

Current position: Locum, Mount Gambier Hospital

Tell us a little bit about your journey to get to this point.

It was a more unusual path to medicine. Senior high school was not a happy or productive time and I graduated with poor grades. I started working in warehousing and delivery jobs when I moved to Brisbane after high school. I was heavily involved in sports especially soccer and unfortunately a knee injury halted my soccer career but the process of injury, surgery then the rehab and recovery started or rekindled an interest in health. This prompted me to an adult entry pathway into my undergraduate degree of Exercise Science.

From my degree I landed a job as an overnight sleep study technician and then I worked my way up to scientist then senior scientist then laboratory manager. During this career I worked with doctors and nurses and other scientists and it was fascinating work but I realised I wanted to do more to help patients. After working my way into management, and the same time supporting my mum through her cancer diagnosis and illness, I knew I needed to take a shot at applying for medicine. So, after sitting GAMSAT three times I finally was offered a position at Flinders. It had been 10 years since my undergraduate degree and my study skills were a bit rusty, so I failed my first semester exams and had to repeat that topic. Someone sat me down and asked was I sure medicine was for me. I told them it absolutely was what I was supposed to be doing and I went on to not fail another assessment in the degree.

I reluctantly declined my offer for internship in Mount Gambier Hospital and accepted one in the hospital I was born in (Lismore Base Hospital) to allow me to be closer to my family as I had been away for five years studying and felt I needed to be closer to home for a while.  I completed my intern, resident and senior resident years there and am now taking on locum jobs around the country in different rural hospitals.

Why did you choose Flinders and the PRCC program and did it impact on your career direction?

I had read up on some of the university programs and I was drawn to the ones who had strong rural placement programs. Once I was at Flinders and had heard from students who had undertaken the PRCC program I knew I had to be a part of that program. I think my exposure through the PRCC impacted my choice to apply for rural intern programs. I still know I want to work in rural and regional settings in the long term.

What area of medicine did you want to practice in when you were studying and has that changed since graduation?

I think pre-graduation I thought I would go into rural GP training but I love working in the hospital setting and so I will keep doing that for a while longer while I decide on what training program to work towards.

Did or do you have a mentor and if so how has that helped you?

I think working in a smaller hospital allows you to develop closer relationships with consultants and in Lismore there were a number of supportive doctors who helped me along the way and who I know I could still call for advice at any time. They are the type of boss doctor I would like to be one day.

Describe a typical workday.

Here in Mount Gambier, we meet for an 8am handover with the other medical teams. Then we start a ward round with our consultant to review our patients and update any plans for their investigations and treatments. Then we complete any tasks like ordering tests or calling Adelaide specialists for input on more complex patients. We prepare patients who are due to be discharged with scripts and letters. The pager goes off all the time with additional tasks the nurses need to help look after our patients. Once all the jobs are done, we go home and are ready to do it all again the next day.

Can you describe a memorable moment/case in your career as a rural doctor?

I came across a rollover accident on my way to my shift in the emergency department. I stopped to offer assistance at the crash as no ambulance had arrived yet. I think some of my training kicked in as I assessed the patient and could tell she was stable for the time being. I helped keep her still and protect her neck until the ambulance arrived than I went to my shift late. I was able to then hand over the details of the incoming trauma patient and help with her management in hospital once she arrived. She did end up having a stable fracture of her neck, but she remembered me from the crash and thanked me for looking after her and keeping her calm

What would you say to others that may be considering either a career as a rural GP or studying medicine?

If you are not afraid of hard work and you care about other people and you love to learn then go for it. There are many different pathways to get to this career and sometimes the more indirect pathway is more interesting and valuable.

What are your hobbies – what do you do for down time from work and how do you balance work, life and family?

I love to take my housemates dog for walks on the beach, I play roller derby when I can make it to training around work. I started a vegetable garden last year and I like to spend time with family and friends.

How would you describe yourself and your personality?

Fiercely independent, adventurous and determined

Describe yourself in five years’ time?

I have worked in Antarctica for a season, I am still learning much about medicine but maybe I have decided to stay in one place for a while and I have my own dog and a horse.

Learn more about Flinders University Rural and Remote Health SA