A community to grow in – Flinders Public Health

Excited by the energy, rapid evolution, and global potential of the field, Isabelle Haklar embarked on a Master of Public Health at Flinders University.

“In my undergraduate medical science degree, health and disease were narrowly conceptualised.

“Public Health was the perfect complement in a way, as it explores the broader sociocultural and political contexts underpinning health and disease, with the objective of addressing health disparities on a global scale.”

Flinders a standout

Isabelle was impressed by the Flinders campus – the wide open space, trees, lake (with ducks included), and sea views.

“There’s also something nice about being removed from the hustle and bustle of the city. I also love how natural lighting has been incorporated into so many of the study spaces.”

But the real standout for Isabelle was the breadth of topics available to study.

“I’ve been able to undertake a range of topics with an interdisciplinary focus, allowing me to learn from other students and teaching staff from different backgrounds. This opportunity has really benefited my learning.

“The course support and career guidance I have received at Flinders has also been fantastic.”

A world-class experience

Isabelle has enjoyed the opportunity to learn from world-class lecturers and mentors with years of experience in the field of Public Health. She has also been able to draw upon global examples and applications of public health in the topics she is undertaking.

“These learning experiences have enriched my understanding of the way different societies operate in the context of public health.”

In her five years as a student at Flinders, Isabelle feels that the university is not only an educational institution, but a community that has helped her to grow both professionally and personally.

Practicality and passion combined

So far, Isabelle has thoroughly enjoyed the research component of her Masters and has learnt so much in the first six months of her project.

“Both my supervisors have extensive knowledge in the field, so their mentorship has been invaluable to my learning.”

When considering where her studies might take her, Isabelle has found that she is discovering different interests the further she progresses with her studies.

“I am particularly passionate about health education, health literacy and women’s health issues, so I would love to be able to work in a position that allows me to combine these.”

If you are interested in a career where you can make an impact on a global scale, explore Public Health at Flinders University.