Meet Mel Smith – Rural and Remote Health SA Campus and Site Administrator – Accommodation Lead

What is your role and what does your work focus on?  

My role is the Campus and Site Administrator – Accommodation Lead. I will work alongside Donna Fay and my main focus will be looking after the student accommodation booking system and making sure students are accommodated during their rural placement.

Where did you work before joining CMPH?  

I worked with Frucor Suntory for 12 years as the SA/WA/NT Administration Coordinator. Frucor Suntory are a beverage company with a portfolio that includes V Energy, Rockstar, Maximus and BOSS coffee.

What journey brought you to this point in your career?  

I had my son, Edwin in November last year and I had been on maternity leave from Frucor Suntory. As much as I loved where I worked, the commute to and from Adelaide was just too much with a baby so towards the end of my maternity leave, I looked for something closer to home (I live in Victor Harbor). When I saw the Victor Harbor based FRRHSA role advertised, I wasted no time in applying. Fun fact; I moved to Victor Harbor in 2020 and I would always drive past the FRRH Victor Harbor office. I would always think I would love to work there one day and well here I am! Strange how the universe works sometimes!

What is something you love most about your work?  

I have only been in this role for 2 weeks but so far I would say I love the RRH team. Everyone has been really welcoming and supportive with helping me learn my new role. I am finding all the programs, systems and processes really interesting so I am looking forward to finishing my training and getting stuck into the tasks ahead of me.

If you could tell your younger self one thing, what would it be?  

That there is no one correct path in life. Everyone has their own unique journey. Trust that you are exactly where you are meant to be and live in the moment.

If you had a super power what would it be?

I have always been fascinated with telekinesis but more recently I would say to have the ability to pause time. Since having Eddy, time is just going way too fast!!

How do you like to relax or spend your spare time? 

When the weather is nice, I enjoy getting away with the family in our caravan or taking the jet ski for a spin. Quality family time is something I cherish these days!

Who is the most famous person you are related to? (or have met)

Certainly not related to anyone famous but I think the most famous person I have met would be Sophie Monk? It was 1999 and at the time, I was a big fan of the reality show “popstars” and the girl pop group BARDOT. They were touring Australia and performed at Westfield Marion along with a meet and greet. My friends and I lined up for hours to have the band sign a CD single of their hit song “poison”. Pretty certain I still have the single and a photo of Sophie somewhere but it was taken on a disposable camera so you can only imagine the quality of the photo ha-ha!

Get to know CMPH Rural and Remote