Get to Know your College: Charmaine O’Reilly

What is your role and what does your work focus on? 

I’m the Deputy Sleep Lab Manager and Clinical Trial Coordinator at FHMRI Sleep Health (formerly Adelaide Institute for Sleep Health, AISH). We conduct all kinds of sleep research with a focus on individualised therapy.

Where did you work before joining CMPH? 

Prior to working at Flinders, I worked as an Advanced Sleep Technician/Deputy Manager at the Women’s & Children’s Hospital Sleep Disorders Unit. With this job, I learned a lot about sleep, clinical pathways and primary healthcare.

3D printed Model

What journey brought you to this point in your career? 

From my time working in primary healthcare I was able to observe the limitations and where we could benefit from more research. I wanted to be more a part of the solution and after completing my Honours in Paediatric Sleep Medicine at The University of Adelaide I caught the research ‘bug’.

What is something you love most about your work? 

I love most of all that no 2 days are the same. There is always something new and exciting to do every single day. I love problem-solving and that makes up a lot of my job. I also really enjoy supporting people and watching them grow and that is also a big part of my role.

What three words would your colleagues use to describe you?

Kind, Imaginative, and Humorous – I will admit I cheated and asked someone.

Creature Design 3D Art work

How do you like to relax or spend your spare time?

In my spare time I love to create 3D models and concept art focusing on character and creature design. I’m currently studying a Bachelor of Creative Arts (Visual Effects and Entertainment Design) at Flinders specialising in 3D character/creature design. I also 3D print the models I sculpt and use them in my other spare time activity playing Dungeons & Dragons.

What are you most looking forward to in 2023?

This year I’m looking forward to watching the TV series which is being filmed at our work about individualised therapeutic approaches to sleep disorders. I hope it helps reach a broader audience and spreads the message of new technology and new approaches to treating sleep disorders.

CMPH Staff Get to know CMPH