Get to know your College: Jill Carr

What is your role and what does your work focus on? 

I am a balanced academic with a teaching role that spans undergraduate microbiology in the BMedSci program and microbiology in year 1 of the Doctor of Medicine program. I am also on the Bachelor of Medical Science (Honours) and HDR committees, Institutional Biosafety Committee and Flinders Sustainability Advisory Group. The rest of my time is in the laboratory, where I have a small team of fantastic students and staff, focusing on understanding viral infections (dengue, zika, norovirus and adenovirus) in the brain and gut, and in particular, the first induction of immune responses that can either protect against infection or be part of the pathology of the disease.

Where did you work and / or study before joining CMPH / Flinders? 

I joined Flinders in 2011, and prior to that studied and undertook a PhD in the Biochemistry Department at the University of Adelaide, then worked at the Institute of Medical and Veterinary Science (now SA Pathology) researching HIV and dengue virus, with an additional role in the diagnostic monitoring of HIV drug resistance. I worked part-time from 1998-2011, raising two children and one husband during that time.

What inspired you to pursue a career in your current field, and how has your passion evolved over time?

I was inspired in the field of virology by Professor Bob Symons, but Bob’s supervision style did not fit mine, so I chose to do a PhD in a different field on IGF’s with Professor John Wallace, who was fantastic in many other ways. The HIV epidemic in the mid-1990’s drew me back to Medical Virology Research, where I have stayed since. Viruses are inherently interesting but the people I have made friends with throughout this time in lots of different fields are also inspiring.

Can you share a memorable experience or project from your career that had a significant impact on you or the community?

I remember the Anthrax white powder terrorism episodes in 2001. Any suspect letters were opened and assessed in our PC3 facility (which we used for HIV research) by our lab staff. The OH&S officer at the time said to the PC3 lab staff that we were chosen for this role because we were ‘dispensable and not part of the brains trust of the health system’.  Anyway, I beg to differ ..… I think laboratory medical scientists are the fundamental brains trust of the health system, and this was never more apparent than the rapid development of diagnostics, vaccines and therapeutics for the COVID-19 pandemic.

How do you like to relax or spend your spare time?

I am a long-time netballer, but my knees refuse to co-operate anymore, so I coach – at Adelaide University, because their metrics in netball are better than those at Flinders. I like the outdoors. I like to relax by going to committee meetings and HDR presentations, where I have mastered the art of sleeping with my eyes open.

CMPH Staff Get to know CMPH