From Canada to Adelaide: Chase chooses Flinders for Medicine

Meet Chase Bolton, a third-year Doctor of Medicine student who chose Flinders University in Adelaide, Australia, for her degree. Driven by the impactful experiences of doctors in her family, she was drawn to medicine’s dynamic nature.  

“The field of medicine excites me because it’s constantly changing and progressing for the better. New research is always being done to improve the lives of people around the world. I decided to go down this path because of the profound impact doctors had on the lives and health of my family members while I was growing up.”  

She found Flinders to be the perfect fit for her aspirations, particularly impressed by its renowned Doctor of Medicine program offering support and early clinical exposure.  

Chase’s experience at Flinders was characterised by an enriching learning environment, where practical experience complemented theoretical knowledge. 

I think that for the Doctor of Medicine program specifically, Flinders stands out from other universities because they offer personal support throughout all 4 years of the degree (ex: learning coaches) and offer early ward exposure and early patient interactions. 

Chase found the learning environment enriching. Practical placements at local clinics and teaching experiences bolstered Chase’s confidence and skills, reaffirming her aspiration to become a general practitioner in Australia.  

“I’ve had a short-term placement at a local general practice clinic and I’ve had practical women’s’ health teaching experience in my second year at Flinders.  

I learn better with hands on experience as opposed to simply reading a textbook, so these placements greatly improved my understanding and made me feel more confident in my skills and knowledge.” 

As an international student, she was pleased to find a welcoming community at Flinders, fostering friendships through clubs and university activities.  

“While being at Flinders, I have received great support from my teachers. My tip for fellow students who are concerned about making friends is to join clubs and attend Uni activities. You’re bound to find a group that has similar interests to you.” 

As for the future, she envisions herself working in a local General Practice (GP) clinic, leveraging the invaluable experiences gained at Flinders.  

I will be undertaking a variety of clinical placements/electives through Flinders which will help me determine if there’s any other specialties or subspecialties that pique my interest. 

Overall, her journey at Flinders has been transformative, solidifying her passion for medicine and setting the stage for a promising career in healthcare. 

Prevent, treat, cure and care at Flinders University. Explore your study options across Bedford Park, Darwin, our rural and remote campuses across the Northern Territory and South Australia.  

CMPH Student Medicine