Pre-College Blog

Hi all,

My name is Matthew Milne and I am currently in the second year of my International Tourism degree. I will be studying in Flagstaff, Arizona at Northern Arizona University, nicknamed the Lumberjacks! I don’t really have many expectations coming over here, apart from experiencing the American culture and enjoying one of the best periods of time in my life. I believe coming over to the U.S, it is best to remain open minded and just simply enjoy every moment. Talking to everyone else who has studied in a college overseas, the majority have had the time of their life! Everyone’s experience is different so it is important to not have certain expectations that may leave you disappointed.

I am very excited for the semester abroad coming up, things I’m looking forward to most include:

• Living on campus
  • Orientation week
  • Studying in a college town
  • Meeting students from all around the globe
  • Studying in a different environment, comparatively to Flinders
  • Studying hospitality (A highly regarded industry in the U.S & an industry I have worked in over the past few years)
  • Studying nearby to Grand Canyon,  Las Vegas & other beautiful parts of nature

I decided to study overseas for a number of reasons. The decision to study overseas presents endless opportunities! My motivation for this trip abroad lasting seven months gives me the opportunity to travel and live alone, put me out of my comfort zone, open my mind to future endeavours, improve my knowledge in my industry of study, make contacts from a range of countries and explore North America in many different methods of travel.

I’ve had an amazing time so far travelling on my own, seeing some natural wonders, beginning my Contiki and can’t wait to become NAU strong in Flagstaff! Pictures of my trip so far and NAU are below. Look forward to writing again mid semester.

Best wishes

Matthew Milne, a Bachelor of International Tourism student, Semester 2 2016 exchange at Northern Arizona University, the United States

Excitement became real (#NAUSaidYes)
Excitement became real (#NAUSaidYes)
Image of Northern Arizona's Indoor Stadium
Image of Northern Arizona’s Indoor Stadium
Enjoying early days in New York
Enjoying early days in New York
Making friends globally - Montreal
Making friends globally – Montreal
Universal Studios Florida Wonderful travel opportunities