Hej då, farewell Malmö.

For the second semester of 2016, I travelled to Malmö University in Sweden to undertake fieldwork for my PhD. I was supported through the International Network of Universities’ inaugural ‘Seed Money Fund‘ and the Australian Commonwealth Government’s ‘Endeavour Research Fellowship‘ scheme. My PhD research compares the development, implementation and effectiveness of multicultural integration policy frameworks. I am investigating how governments can best support and incorporate migrants through multicultural integration policy. To do this, I interviewed policymakers and public servants in Sweden, the UK and the Netherlands.

This is my second trip to Malmö University, as I previously completed an undergraduate exchange in 2011. However, I loved the opportunity to return and develop my networks with researchers passionate about improving integration processes for new arrivals. My research interviews with some fascinating participants have yielded excellent data. In particular, I had some very encouraging conversations with people leading new and innovative projects responding to the immigration challenges facing Europe.

I also had the opportunity to travel across the Swedish countryside to Göteborg, Stockholm and Ven. The natural landscape is beautiful, as is the architecture of the cities. Most of all, I enjoyed many peaceful walks through the parks in Malmö.

I hope that my fieldwork project has strengthened the collaborative links between Malmö and Flinders. I look forward to hearing the stories of other students who take hold of the mobility opportunities between the two institutions. Malmö University is an outstanding host, not least because they have a great focus on supporting international partnerships. I certainly appreciate my experience because it has deeply enriched the data that I have been able to collect.  Many thanks!

Adam Ridley, PhD Candidate, Southgate Institute for Health, Society and Equity, School of Medicine is the first recipient of the INU Seed Money Fund

• Read more about Adam’s work in Sweden here
  • Read more about the International Network of Universities (INU) here
Adam Ridley
Adam Ridley
 Malmö harbour
Malmö harbour
Swedish Parliament Stockholm
Swedish Parliament Stockholm