Pre-departure Malaysia jitters

Late November I stepped into the Sturt Gym with some pre-exam jitters, little did I know in the middle of myself sitting my Chemistry exam, I would have received an email that would allow me to start 2018 with a bang. I received the email that I was lucky enough to be involved in the Investigating the history, culture, politics, and science and technology capability of Malaysia program. I hadn’t thought about the EOI I had sent through during SWOTVAC, so It was a pleasant surprise to see the acceptance email on my phone after an exam. 

Ever since being introduced to the concept behind New Colombo Plan mobility grant, I knew I wanted to be involved. However, there had not been one that I was merely interested in nor found the relevance to my degree, Forensics and Analytical Science,  until now. The 3-week program will allow myself and other Flinders University students to not only immerse ourselves in the culture but learn about the science and technology capabilities of Malaysia whilst also investigating the more humanities aspects of the country. 

As the program takes place prior to the academic year, it personally allows me to be more mentally stimulated much quicker for the semester ahead. However, I am excited about new relationships that will be formed in this trip between the two universities with connections which could possibly stem into further future connections.

And now in a couple of days, I will have travel jitters!

Phola Ramos, Bachelor of Science (Honours) (Forensic and Analytical Science) student, participating in “Investigating the history, culture, politics, and science and technology capability of  Malaysia” funded by the New Colombo Plan in January 2018

Outbound Student Blogs Student Exchange 101