Pre departure: Malaysia in 3…2….1 day!

My name is Anika Talukder and in less than 36 hours I will be on my way to University Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM) in Malaysia! This amazing 3 week-long opportunity was possible through the New Colombo mobility grant. As part of the program, I will be investigating the history, culture, politics, and science and technology capabilities of Malaysia. As a fourth-year Biomedical Engineering student, this experience will be beneficial for my ongoing study as it will expose me to valuable international skills.

My interest sparked when I heard about it from friends who were part of the 2017 UKM trip. After hearing about their food adventures, kayaking, and cultural involvement, my interest peaked. When the application opened I immediately put forward an expression of interest. I was fortunate enough for being chosen among the 10 students, including a few of my close friends. I have previously been at the Kuala Lumpur airport but never ventured into Malaysia. This will be a first time for me and I am sure I will leave with amazing memories that will last me for life.

I was born and raised in Bangladesh as a Muslim. Stated by the philosophy of UKM, they affirm the integration of faith in Allah and constructive knowledge. As I have spent the last 8 years of my life in Australia, it has been difficult to explore much of my faith. I am looking forward to understanding how Islam can be incorporated into both my study and life.  I cannot wait to submerge myself into the Malaysian culture, extend my understanding of the history, politics, technology, and economics.  I am also eager to apply my academic and personal skill set to undertake the research project related to my field and of course eat as much traditional food as possible while doing so!

Anika Talukder, Bachelor of Engineering (Biomedical) (Honours), Master of Engineering (Biomedical) student, participating in “Investigating the history, culture, politics, and science and technology capability of  Malaysia” funded by the New Colombo Plan in January 2018