My Adventures at Utrecht University, Netherlands

Let’s just say that – for someone who is usually incredible organised – I am not prepared to go…. I leave in less than three weeks and I feel like there is still so much to do in Australia before I hop on the plane to Europe. I have a major case of “procrastination” and have left everything to the last minute to do (including this blog post). Besides the stress of not getting my stuff together, I am super excited to start this once in a lifetime opportunity, where, I will hopefully have amazing experiences, get the chance to discover the culture of my family, and make many incredible memories.

As a person who has spent the last few years in the desert community of Broken Hill with 45°+ summers, the thought of a Dutch winter in the Netherlands scares and excites me quite a bit. Other than the thought of a white Christmas, I am super excited about experiencing a different lifestyle and university, getting to see new cultural and nature sites, and FOOOOOD (both eating cool, new things and sharing my love of vegemite with everyone).

However, along with the excitement comes an abundance of nerves. I have never travelled or lived this far without my family. I am not sure what to expect once I am over there and that is what scares me the most. I have never done anything like this before – go to Europe, travel alone, leave my family for 6 months – which makes me feel like I am not prepared and have forgotten something. But I am not going to let that hold me back! I already have trips planned to different European countries and will try to make the most of the opportunity.

It’s crazy to think that a year ago the thought of going on exchange was barely an idea in my mind. But after lots of research, encouragement and support from my friends and family, the LWB team, and these handy blogs, I’ll be on my way to Europe in less than three weeks.

Katelyn Schenk, Bachelor of International Tourism student went on exchange to Utrecht during S2, 2018.

Outbound Student Blogs Student Exchange 101