Some tips for new students from a recent graduate

Hi, I’m Milly, a recent Flinders Psychology graduate.

One of the highlights of my degree was my psychology placement in third year. I had the opportunity to work within the Community Re-Entry Program located on our Sturt campus. I assisted adults who had an Acquired Brain Injury with socialisation and the experience added so much depth, perspective and real-world understanding to the theoretical content I had learnt in my degree. The people I met through this placement have left a permanent impact on me and, education aside, enriched my world view tenfold.

A tip I would recommend to commencing students is to grasp the In’s and Out’s of Okta (you can find Okta and your other student systems on the student portal) and how to submit assignments – prior to your first assignment due date. Learning at university is a very different style than high school and adjusting to these new digital landscapes prior can really save stress when the time comes to submit assessment and will greatly help in the long term.

I would also highly suggest a physical diary to keep track of key dates and times – I did this each year and it never left my side.

My overall piece of advice for uni is to milk it for all its worth- revel in all the opportunities and just have fun with it.

All students