Celebrating Flinders Students’ Inspiring Volunteer Stories

As part of Flinders University’s celebrations for National Student Volunteer Week 2020, the Flinders Careers and Employability team held the People’s Choice Award to recognise a student whose volunteer story inspires others.

It was truly a pleasure to read all the submitted entries and to see the valuable contribution each of our students is making in their communities!

Based on Flinders University staff and students votes, the 2020 People’s Choice Award was presented to Tasnim Jahan Mim. The other final nominees were: Bradley Martin, Nitya Devi Sri Ganesh, and Wing Kwan Sally Kwok.

Learn about their amazing volunteer journeys below.

2020 PEOPLE’S CHOICE AWARD WINNER

Tasnim Jahan Mim
Volunteer with Red Cross & Southern Cross Care

“I started my journey as a volunteer in Australia a few months ago. I was looking for part-time jobs but due to COVID-19, it was hard for me to get a job. Besides that, I am an international student. I was getting stressed, anxiety and all the negative vibes after I came here. Eventually, I realised, I need to do something to divert my mind from this negative pandemic…”

Read more

FINAL NOMINEES FOR THE 2020 PEOPLE’S CHOICE AWARD

Bradley Martin
Volunteer with Out for Australia, Queers In Science, and DigiVol

“While volunteering to manage events presents both personal and logistical challenges, the rewards have far outweighed the costs. Contributing to the community has helped to grow my confidence and skills, benefiting both my studies and work life. Changing the lives of people and inspiring others to make a difference continues to be the most rewarding part of volunteering. It also gives me hope that together we can build better communities that treat people fairly and equally….”

Read more

Nitya Devi Sri Ganesh
Volunteer with Flinders International Study Centre, Southern Cross Care, Holden Street Theatres and Dementia Australia

“As a new student in a new country, it can be daunting in the beginning; that is why I chose to volunteer. It was to meet new people and to learn about the culture. However, through volunteering, it has developed my professional skills, especially my communication skills, and I learnt up some soft skills that would be helpful for my career…”

Read more

Wing Kwan Sally Kwok
Volunteer with the City of Salisbury

“I have the privilege and pleasure to be a volunteer community market coordinator for the Salisbury East Neighbourhood Centre at the City of Salisbury since October 2019. Through volunteering, I’ve gained much more than I gave, as I’ve built many precious new friendships, learnt exciting new local cultures & practices, gained project planning & execution skills as well as expanded my network of connections in Adelaide….”

Read more

All students Student Success