From the Vice-Chancellor: Visit to BGL Trading Room

Recently I was able to visit the new Trading Room in the College of Business, Government and Law being used by some of our finance students.

The room has been fitted with cutting-edge market simulating technology that enables students to access time-series data on security prices and exchange rates and execute trades in real time.

The students I met were in a Financial Markets class and they were working on an assignment using data from all over the globe, with live ratios to provide market advice to a fictional client.

It was great to hear directly from students who were very enthusiastic about the new technology and said it enabled them to quickly synthesise and interpret complex global data in real time.

The Trading Room, which opened in February this year, is currently being used for finance and accounting subjects but I’m told that we are looking at expanding this in due course.

I am always delighted to see examples of investments in our physical infrastructure that further our vision as an innovator in contemporary education, and to hear directly from students about how projects like these enhance their learning experience.

Blog posts