Flinders-Nankai Graduate Profile – LÜ Xinhe (MAIRET ’12)

LÜ Xinhe says his studies in the Flinders-Nankai program broadened his vision of global business possibilities, allowing his companies to develop strong links with many well-known international and domestic enterprises.

Now holding a raft of significant roles – President of Shanghai Pete Chemical Company, President of Petechem Industry (Hong Kong) Limited, Deputy Secretary General of the Shanghai New Social Class Association, Deputy Secretary-General of the Pharmaceutical Industry Branch of the China Medical Insurance Chamber, Vice President of Shanghai’s First Economy Association, and Vice President of the Doctoral Alumni Association of the University of Nice Sophia Antipolis. LÜ Xinhe says the MAIRET course provided him with essential knowledge about internationalisation, awareness of international regulations, the ability to deal with the development of international economic and trade relations, and strengthened his spirit of innovation, which is essential to business growth and success.

“Our companies operate at a good international level and we have set up very friendly cooperative relations with a lot of international and domestic well-known enterprises,” he says

“What I learned from the Flinders-Nankai program has enabled me to master international trade theories and commercial laws, international relations, understanding regional economics and the world market, and other professional theoretical foundations. My practical experience in the business world is now well combined with the theory learned during my university studies, and has provided better guidance for all my subsequent work.”

From the outset of his MAIRET studies in 2010, LÜ Xinhe says he was thrilled by the prestige of Nankai University (responsible for Nobel prize winners Yang Zhenning, Li Zhengdao, Ding Zhaozhong, Robert Mundell and is the alma mater of Premier Zhou Enlai) and Flinders University’s strong reputation in teaching and innovative scientific research.

“The opportunity to learn about Australia also motivated me, to help me establish long-term relationships as a major player in international trade.”

LÜ Xinhe says he was impressed by the specific detail obtained from subjects throughout the MAIRET course, which have proved especially beneficial in his professional life since graduating. “During my studies, one of the most impressive subjects learned was World Economy Development: Globalisation and Regionalisation. Through this, we became more aware that globalisation of the world economy is deepening, and the development of regional coordinated division of labour is becoming increasingly apparent. We became aware of the laws of world economic development in advance. In fact, many of the courses we studied greatly impressed me, such as International Market and Development, The East Asian Economy, International Relations Theory, and International Finance and Trade System.

“I now understand enriched theory of international economic and trade relationships, and have gained a comprehensive understanding of the international market, especially the East Asian Economy,” says LÜ Xinhe. “I also gained a completely fresh understanding of the process of East Asian economy integration. “

He has put this knowledge to good use. Soon after graduating in 2012, LÜ Xinhe proposed a strategy for a German semiconductor company’s sales department to increase efforts in developing their East Asian market and received their high recognition. Within the next two years, he had successfully expanded their Chinese market and opened new markets in Korea, Japan, and Taiwan. It established a very friendly cooperative relationship among the major semiconductor companies in East Asia.

LÜ Xinhe has used his acquired knowledge to forward suggestions to the Chinese government that have been implemented: a Shanghai Bund tunnel renovation project, and new agricultural insurance to aid poor farmers. He also forwarded suggestions to the party branch of the Shanghai Foreign Service Company, the united front work department of the Shanghai Municipal Committee of the CPC, and the organisation department of the CPC Central Committee, regarding home appliances for rural population, new insurance policies for rural China, and a floating exchange rate system.

These measures will be soon implemented. “I suggested China implement the phased floating exchange rate system, so that domestic foreign trade and export is less affected by frequent oneday exchange rate changes,” says LÜ Xinhe.

“At present, my own companies have spread our international business around the world and are rapidly developing. My goals now are to further develop these existing enterprises and to expand our international market. I see this work as providing a bridge for the development of China, Australia and the global market – something that will result in favourable mutual development.”

Friendships that LÜ Xinhe made during his MAIRET studies have been maintained, thanks to the teachers help in establishing a class WeChat alumni group. “After graduation, we have maintained close contact. I am honoured to have been elected as a member of the East China Council of Nankai University Alumni Association, which organises various small salon gatherings, and the University also distributes various academic reports or forums. I’m also pleased that Flinders University regularly sends us information about alumni activities, which we always chat about. I’m really keen to make contributions to the development of both the Flinders and Nankai alumni networks.”

LÜ Xinhe is delighted by the study choices that he made, and the exciting career path that now lays before him. He says he initially wanted to be a teacher – having been influenced by an excellent teacher he had in primary school – and completed tertiary studies to become a qualified teacher, but a yearning to do more led him towards the international trade industry. “Based on my current results, it proves that my choice was correct,” he says. “My MAIRET studies led me to find the one job that I truly love, and I now know that I have made the right choice.”

2012届毕业生吕新河认为他在南开大学澳大利亚弗林德斯大学合作办学项目的学 习拓宽了他对国际商业前景的视野,引领 他的公司与多家国际国内知名企业建立了 紧密的联系。

现在他身兼数职——上海彼特化工有限公 司创始人、董事长,Petechem工业(香港) 有限公司董事长,上海市新的社会阶层联 谊会副秘书长;中国医保商会药融圈分会 副秘书长;第一经济副会长;法国尼斯大学 博士校友会副会长。吕新河说国际经贸关 系硕士项目让他了解全球化的基本知识, 具备了国际法规意识,增强了应对国际金 融贸易关系的能力,以及他的创新精神,这 对企业的成长和成功至关重要。

“我们的公司在国际上发展良好,并和很 多知名国内外企业建立了友好的合作关 系,”他说道。

“我从南开-弗林德斯项目学到的知识使 我精通国际贸易理论,商法和国际关系, 理解区域经济学和全球市场,并为我夯 实了其他相关专业理论基础。我在商业 上的实践经验和我在大学所学到的理论 知识完美结合,为我今后的工作提供了 更好的指导。”

2010年,当吕新河开始他的国际经贸关系 硕士项目时,他对南开大学和弗林德斯大 学的声望感到十分欣喜激动。南开大学产 生过四位诺贝尔奖获得者(杨振宁、李政 道、丁肇中,Robert Mundell,也是周恩来 总理的母校),并且弗林德斯大学的教学质 量和创新的科学研究也颇负盛名。“有机会 了解澳大利亚也激励了我,作为国际贸易的重要参与者,这将帮助我建立长久的国 际贸易关系网络关系网。”

吕新河说,该课程的精细入微让他印象深 刻,这些知识也在他毕业后的职业生涯中 让他获益匪浅。“在我学习的时候,最让我 印象深刻的课程是《世界经济发展:全球化 和区域化》。通过这门课的学习,我们更加 深入地意识到世界经济全球化不断深化, 区域协调分工发展日益明显,我们提前认 识到了世界经济发展的规律。事实上来说, 我们所学的很多课程都让我受益匪浅,比如 《全球市场与发展》,《东亚经济》,《国际关 系理论》和《国际金融与贸易系统》。”

“我现在了解了丰富的国际经济与贸易关 系理论,并且更全面地了解了国际市场,尤 其是东亚经济。”吕新河说,“我也对东亚经 济一体化的过程有了全新的认识。”

吕新河学以致用,2012年毕业后不久,他 就为德国的一家半导体公司销售部门制定 了一套策略,以加大在东亚市场的开发力 度,并得到了他们的高度认可。在接下来的 两年内,他成功地拓展了公司的中国市场, 并且开拓了韩国,日本和台湾地区的新市 场。这为大型半导体企业在东亚建立了良 好的合作关系。

吕新河还用所学的知识,为中国政府提出 了一些意见建议并被采纳实施:例如上海 外滩隧道改造项目,以及资助农民的新农 村保险项目。他还向上海对外服务有限公 司党办,上海市委统战部以及中共中央组 织部提议,包括家电下乡、新农保以及阶 段性的浮动汇率制等,这些建议都很快就 被采纳了。

“我建议中国采用阶段性浮动汇率制度, 以减少因频繁变化的单日汇率而造成的 对国内外贸进出口的巨大影响。”吕新河 说道。

“目前,我自己的公司业务已经在全球范 围内迅速发展。我的目标是进一步发展现 有公司,并进一步扩大海外市场。在我看 来,这项工作是为中国,澳大利亚和国际市 场的发展搭建桥梁。这将促进双方的互惠 互利和共同发展。”

感谢老师在上课时建立的班级微信校友 群,吕新河在求学期间的友情得以持续。“ 毕业后,我们保持着密切的联系。我很荣幸 被选为南开大学校友会华东校友会委员会 理事,校友会经常组织小型沙龙聚会,同时 大学也向校友们发送各类学术报告或者学 术论坛的消息。我也很高兴能收到弗林德 斯大学定期发送给我们的有关校友活动的 信息,我们经常讨论这些消息。我非常希望 能够为南开大学和弗林德斯大学的校友会 贡献我自己的力量。”

吕新河很欣慰自己做出的学习选择,也为 他未来的职业生涯道路感到振奋。他说他 最开始受到优秀的小学老师的影响,想成 为一名教师,并为此完成大学学业取得了 教师资格,但不止于此,他渴望更多成就, 最终选择了国际贸易行业。“从我现在的表 现来看,证明了我的选择是正确的,”他说 道。“我所学习的课程帮助我找到了心仪的 工作,现在我知道我做出了正确的选择。”

College of Business, Government and Law Transnational Education