Streamlining our international pathways

Mony

The new Flinders University Academy is creating greater opportunities for students from overseas to study at Flinders.

Flinders University has increased its accessibility for international students to study on campus with the introduction of an exciting, streamlined pathway program.

Officially launched by Her Excellency The Honourable Frances Adamson AC, Governor of South Australia, the newly established Flinders University Academy offers an innovative pathway program for students from overseas, supporting them to achieve their ambition to study at Flinders.

TAILORED LEARNING

Taking control of pathway courses for international students at Flinders, the Academy is owned and governed by the University but operates independently. With this structural change to its pathways program, Flinders can ensure that each student is offered a tailor-made learning experience.

“In a highly competitive and mature market, this approach ensures that the changing needs and demands of international students are able to be met quickly by the University, while still delivering a seamless transition from their pathway course to their chosen degree,” says Sebastian Raneskold, Vice-President and Pro Vice-Chancellor (International).

PATHWAY OPTIONS

Based in The Plaza at Flinders’ Bedford Park campus, and with options to study selected programs at Flinders’ new city campus from 2024, the Academy offers a range of diplomas – allowing students to easily transition to the first or second year of their chosen degree. A Pre-Masters Business program is also offered, in addition to Foundation Studies and English for Academic Purposes programs.

Pre-Masters Business program graduate Grace, who moved to Adelaide from the Philippines for her studies, strongly recommends pathway programs for those who don’t meet the entry requirements for their chosen degree, as it helps international students adjust to university life and develop essential academic skills.

“Because of Flinders University Academy, I feel like I’m more prepared in my studies,” says Grace.

After successfully completing the seven-week Pre-Masters, Grace is now studying the Master of Accounting and Finance with Flinders.

English for Academic Purposes student Mony says, “It’s not a traditional teacher-student relationship; I feel like they’re my friends, who always provide me the opportunity to learn and develop myself.”

For Mony, moving from Cambodia to Australia has been a life-changing experience.
“I want to share this experience with people in my home country, to show them how Flinders takes care of us,” says Mony.

Find out more: flinders.edu.au/academy

2023 Encounter Magazine International